Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

The service manual for this chain states "do not use any ... grease dissolving agents".

Why would they say this?

Is it not safe to use mineral spirits on this chain then?

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
nonsense....

Won't hurt a thing. I at least wipe the exterior of a new chain to reduce the amount of dirt attracting grease coming out of the chain on the first few rides.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I agree on wiping off everything possible on the outside of a chain.

The only thing you'll ever do by using solvents to clean your chain is to wash small particles into the links where they will do the most damage.

After wiping off the outside, use something like Prolink Gold applied tediously to each roller for lubrication.

If you are having trouble getting the outside clean, you could also put a little Prolink on your rag to help with the cleaning.

I say this based on road bike experience only and never letting my chain get "gunky" in the first place.

·
Registered
314 Posts
They say that because they don't want you to dissolve the grease in the rollers. Using a little mineral spirits on a rag to wipe down the chain is okay, you just don't need, or shouldn't soak the chain in the solvent. It removes the lube inside the rollers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PBike said:
They say that because they don't want you to dissolve the grease in the rollers. Using a little mineral spirits on a rag to wipe down the chain is okay, you just don't need, or shouldn't soak the chain in the solvent. It removes the lube inside the rollers.

I got a lot of sand in the chain from riding through a sand drift. Wiping it down isn't getting the grit out. It seems to be embedded in the Gleitmo (sp?) factory grease.

Someone here suggested putting the chain in a bottle w/ solvent and shaking it around.

Would I be able to regrease the chain after that?

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I've got Foster Suprelinks in all my chains. I take them off, soak them in mineral spirits, reapply Prolink, ley it dry and then put the chain back on the bike. Does this hurt the chain? The only thing I know is that I've got a Campy with 8,000 miles on it and still going strong.

·
Registered
96 Posts
here's a suggestion: try the park tool chain cleaner thing (the blue plastic unit--i forget the model number). the citrus degreaser smells nice and works great. chain comes out sparkling clean. let dry for awhile, then put your favorite lube on there. presto. never thought i'd ever get one b/c i thought they were lame looking and couldn't possibly work. ummm, i was wrong.....:blush2:

by the way, i use it on the same chain, the pc1090r.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Why type of degreaser would you recommend? I have heard citrus degreasers are the best which leads into my main question....would it be okay to use my Swix Base cleaner left over from my ski season?

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
No grease on chain

pmc123 said:
I got a lot of sand in the chain from riding through a sand drift. Wiping it down isn't getting the grit out. It seems to be embedded in the Gleitmo (sp?) factory grease.

Someone here suggested putting the chain in a bottle w/ solvent and shaking it around.

Would I be able to regrease the chain after that?
You don't want to "regrease" the chain. Use a lube like ProLink that will penetrate well and where you can wipe the excess off the outside before it dries. Here's how to do it:

Assuming we're talking road riding, use the following technique for successful ProLink or homebrew lube (1 part motor oil to 3-4 parts odorless mineral spirits) application and use:

1 - wipe the chain, cogs, pulleys, and chainrings clean with a rag.
2 - drip on lube while pedaling (forward is better) so that the chain just starts to drip lube. Aim the lube between the side plates and between the bushings and the side plates.
3 - run through all the gears several times, front and back.
4 - thoroughly wipe the chain, cogs, pulleys, and chainrings clean with a rag.
5 - repeat steps 2-4 if the chain was really dirty
Do this AFTER a ride, as you want to allow time for the solvent to evaporate before you head out on the road. If you do this every 300 miles or so (or when you get caught in the rain), you will not get any significant gunky buildup, and you won't have to clean the chain or the cassette. This leaves lube on the inside parts, and wipes it off the outside parts, minimizing dirt pickup.

No lube is "perfect." A brite shiny chain that is clean to the touch but is well lubed and gives long mileage is still not possible. IMO, ProLink is the best compromise.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Oms

vtrider said:
Why type of degreaser would you recommend? I have heard citrus degreasers are the best which leads into my main question....would it be okay to use my Swix Base cleaner left over from my ski season?
Odorless mineral spirits work great, which may be very similar to your Swix solvent. Take the can down to the hardware/paint store and compare labels.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The citrus stuff that comes from Park Tool works great--a bottle of it comes in the chain cleaning kit.

After you run out, you could also use Simple Green concentrate (which I use) mixed with water, a 10:1 ratio works just fine. Way cheaper than the Park Tool stuff & also biodegradable. If you can't measure it accurately, just toss a splash of Simple Green concentrate in there and fill up to the "fill" line with warm water.

Sorry I don't know what Swix is.

I'll also add: mineral spirits smells lousy. If you're in an apartment & not in a house with a yard, or can't do all this outside, skip the mineral oil stuff & go with Citrus-based stuff or Simple Green. Much better.

vtrider said:

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
M77PT said:
............you could also use Simple Green concentrate (which I use) mixed with water, a 10:1 ratio works just fine. ...........
Go over to velonews.com in the tech section and search for Simple Green.

You'll find some thoughts about not using it. :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
everyone has different opinions/experience, that's what makes the world go round.

and it looks some guys had problems...after soaking their chains chain for anywhere from 2 weeks to 5 months in likely full concentrate simple green. brilliant move!

i've been using sg for years with zero problems. i mix it at minimum 10:1, sometimes more (e.g. 15:1), and put it in a spray bottle. i'll squirt it on cassette, derail's., brakes, chainrings, etc., scrub with a toothbrush or some other brush, and rinse with water. a little goes a long way. :thumbsup:

MerlinAma said:
Go over to velonews.com in the tech section and search for Simple Green.

You'll find some thoughts about not using it. :D

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yeah, and abundance of sand is not good.:eek: I have done just about all the things listed above to clean a chain, the plastic chain cleaner and swirling the chain in a can with mineral spirits. I sort of lean towards the swirling of the chain in a can route myself. Change the mineral spirits once or twice to be sure you actually remove the sand and junk from the concoction and end up with a clean chain.

I am sure sram is concerned that you don't remove their lube from inside the chain, but as another poster said, it really doesn't matter, prolink or whatever lube you use will get where it is needed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
try blasting it with a hose if you have access to one. i'll usually do this after a rainy, wet and/or muddy ride. take care to blast only the chain though. typically found that leaning bike up against something (a wall, a tree--whatever) on non-drive side, and using hose nozzle on the bottom open area of chain (i.e. the lower stretch of chain between chainring and rear derail) works pretty good and doesn't introduce high pressure water anywhere important. use one hand to squirt, the other to rotate the cranks backwards a dozen or so times, slowly, so as to get as much grit out as possible.

let dry, then lube, then live to ride another day...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I typically try to refrain from taking the chain off completely to mix it in a solution. The more you do, the more likely you are decreasing the strength of that link which could result in complications on the road and in a race. Disregarding what type of degreaser I use, I like M77PT's approach to using a high pressure hose to clean off as much gunk as possible before going in and carefully wiping down each link around the outside and inside. After that I just reapply whatever chain lube I want to use for the current conditions. Do a lot of you guys take the chain off completely? If so, how often?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts