Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out for a ride yesterday with what I thought was an ample supply of water (2 bottles H2O, 2 bottles Gu2O). It turns out that it wasn't enough. The only places that I know of to look for water fountains are at schools and parks, which can sometimes be difficult to find out on rural roads. Do people know of any other places that would have water fountains, especially those without the funny aftertaste that is present at some of them (this makes me sick to my stomach)? I know that it is a good idea to bring money to buy bottled water to refill bottles if necessary, but I prefer not to buy bottled water unless absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
As you said...

Mr. Jones said:
I went out for a ride yesterday with what I thought was an ample supply of water (2 bottles H2O, 2 bottles Gu2O). It turns out that it wasn't enough. The only places that I know of to look for water fountains are at schools and parks, which can sometimes be difficult to find out on rural roads. Do people know of any other places that would have water fountains, especially those without the funny aftertaste that is present at some of them (this makes me sick to my stomach)? I know that it is a good idea to bring money to buy bottled water to refill bottles if necessary, but I prefer not to buy bottled water unless absolutely necessary.
First choice, convenience stores.

Another good source, look for water spigots on churches. I've had good luck getting water from churches, and they won't yell at you either, especially since most of the time, there isn't anyone around, and finding a church where I live (NC) is easy, since there are about 10 per mile. Even way outside of town.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
The sink

Mr. Jones said:
IThe only places that I know of to look for water fountains are at schools and parks, which can sometimes be difficult to find out on rural roads. Do people know of any other places that would have water fountains, especially those without the funny aftertaste that is present at some of them (this makes me sick to my stomach)? I know that it is a good idea to bring money to buy bottled water to refill bottles if necessary, but I prefer not to buy bottled water unless absolutely necessary.
In the US (and Canada, I believe) and most of Europe, water at a sink has to be labeled if it is not drinking water. IOW, virtually every gas station or convenience store bathroom sink has drinking water on tap. It's the same water piped to the rest of the building, and it typically comes from a municipal supply or a drinking water well. Also, if the convenience store has a soft drink dispenser, there often is a "water" tap somewhere in the mix. Finally, many small stores sell drinking water by the gallon. Around here, a gallon of drinking water (in a milk jug) is less than a dollar - about the same price as 20 oz of "bottled water."

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
You have to scout them out and plan your rides when it's hot. When it gets real hot I will pack a third bottle in my middle jersey pocket. Performance sells 750ml bottles but they are a little hard to grab when you when you are riding.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
It's been a long time since I've been on a ride where every house along the road didn't have water - and I ride in Amish country a lot.

Make like a human and stop when you see someone out mowing the grass, washing the truck, slopping the hogs, etc. Rural folk tend to be friendly enough, and won't mind you using the spigot if you ask nicely and chat with them a bit.

And if you're not careful, you'll get something far more valuable than water out of the exchange.

·
haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
You can usually get water from soda fountains at convenience stores. I only do that if I'm buying a snack at the store, but a friend of mine has the nerve to walk in, fill her bottle and leave (it's a little store that's a popular stop for cyclists).

·
LCI #1853
136 Posts
One of the marks of a True Cyclist (TM) is that he or she will probably know the location of just about every convenience store, gas station, coke machine, and any other source of sustenance within at least a hundred mile radius :thumbsup: He/she may not remember whether that station still sells gas or not, but will have a good idea of their stock of cyclist-friendly snacks.

Was on a long training ride about a month ago way out here in rural Arkansas when I felt the bonk coming on. Just up the road a ways was a golf course, and they usually have a little shop or "19th Hole" or something like that. Pulled in there, only to find that all they had was DIET soda (no useful calories, fwiw) and was a Pepsi joint at that... :mad2:

Tom

·
Beatchin' Technology
372 Posts
+1 to Danl1

Two years ago I played golf with my brother in the morning, skipped lunch [massive DUH]and went for a 70 mile ride. I had some food and Gatorade with me but not enough. I bonked at about 58 (muy hills) miles at the crest of a mile and a half climb. I asked some lady for a drink which she (like most people) was quite happy to provide.

I think that I know every place that I can buy food and drinks within 50 miles of home and every faucet that is easy to get at. Love to fill up the bottles for free. Churches and firehouses are good bets to and work for me. Quite a few commercial buildings have faucets on them.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
magnolialover said:
First choice, convenience stores.

Another good source, look for water spigots on churches. I've had good luck getting water from churches, and they won't yell at you either, especially since most of the time, there isn't anyone around, and finding a church where I live (NC) is easy, since there are about 10 per mile. Even way outside of town.
cemetarys too

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
Mr. Jones said:
I know that it is a good idea to bring money to buy bottled water to refill bottles if necessary, but I prefer not to buy bottled water unless absolutely necessary.
I think if you can't find any other solutions, I would render buying bottled water as "absolutely necessary"... JMO.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.