Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,299 Posts
I have a genuine love for that guy's frames.

·
Registered
9,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks All for the compliments.

The paint is a pearl orange. It was originally seen on the California Masi's the way I understand it. I'm Really happy with it, it's kinda flashy without being ostentastious.

And as far as pictures, the battery is charging. I been hanging parts on it so there's a good chance it'll be built before I get any more shots.
Man, I'm sure looking foreward to riding it.

·
Registered
9,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Della Santa is one of the most unsung, undervalued framebuilders out there. Quality at bargain prices.
Yes, you said a mouthful.

This is the 1st frame he built this year. I ordered it in Nov. and it arrived today. The painter (Jim Allen) had it about a month and Roland said that it would have been built sooner if not for the Holidays and him having a bout with the flu.
My birthday is the middle of Feb. and I got the call that it was built a coupla days before, and it'll be built just in time for the good spring weather.

I can't stop grinnin'.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Pearl orange will be on the shortlist of colors, as well as Della Santa, for next road bike. In 2004 I chose a local builder instead of traveling to Reno.
Beautiful.
But tell us more about how he determined frame size/geometry. Also, how was the overall purchasing experience - wholly acceptable? And of course the final pics and first impressions of the ride.

·
Registered
9,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But tell us more about how he determined frame size/geometry. Also, how was the overall purchasing experience - wholly acceptable? And of course the final pics and first impressions of the ride.
When I spoke with him about size all he needed was seat tube length and angle and top tube length. That's what I gave him and that was fine with me because I had my preferences about those areas anyway and was willing to trust him for the rest. I'm sure that I could have been fitted up and given him all the measurements but I saw no need for that.
Seat tube and top tube decides fit Roland built the bike to do what he knows how to make it do.

59cm seat tube @ 73*
57.5cm top tube

73.5* head tube and I don't remember BB or chainstay measurements.

Purchasing experience was great. I haven't even rode the bike yet, but if I was in the market for another bike, I wouldn't hesitate ordering another Della Santa.
I looked at his web-site and wrote an e-mail. I got a response from the fellow that runs the page with answers and Rolands phone#. I called and we talked about what I wanted, and since the man doesn't seem to bother with computers I sent him a written order through the mail. Called him a few days later and confirmed everything and left it in his hands.
Ordered in November, built by middle February, painted and shipped by the end of March arriving here earlier this week.

It ain't much of a picture but this is how it stands now.
View attachment 278440

At about 2:25-2:40 is when I decided he's the guy.

Also the frame's got the Championship ribbon on the frame.

·
Registered
9,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just back from about a 25mile ride and all I can say is, "man!".

I don't know if it's cause I'm riding a new bike or it's entirely in Rolands ability to build a bike, but this may be the best handling bike I've ever ridden. I haven't really pushed it but it just went where I looked. It just out shines my De Rosa and makes me wonder why I ever bought a plastic bike. The group for this frame got peeled off my Ridley and that frame'll probably never see another group hung on it.
Wheels are the back ups for the De Rosa and the handlebars and stem are new Cinelli. I guess that the Fulcrum 3's are back ups now.

The bottom bracket feels as stiff as the Ridley's(Excalibur) but it has that wonderful steel ride quality. Man, this is already my favorite bike.

SantaCruz,
I don't know what is on your short list, but if one of these is on it, I'd throw the rest of the list away.

·
Registered
9,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
very nice! and the orange/blue/ world champ bands give it a molteni element. well done.
I'm sorry, but "Moltini my Ass".
The Paint's a pearl orange with no panel. Save the Moltini element for a Merckx or a salami sandwich:D

And the World Championship bands give it a Lemond element:thumbsup:

But thanks for the complement.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Nice ride! My old LBS, Branford Bikes when they were still in CT had a DS on display some 20 years ago. Your bike's a beauty and nice to see people are still riding Campag 10s.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.