Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a new CF fork on my bike this year. The bike had a quill style stem before so I switched to an aheadset style stem. I kept the same bars. The new stem is a 130, just like the old one.

When I assempled the bike, I made sure that the drop from the saddle to bars was the same. Problem is, when I ride for a couple hours or longer, my deltoids become very tired & sore. I change hand position frequently. So.....I'm baffled. Got any ideas?:confused5:

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
I put a new CF fork on my bike this year. The bike had a quill style stem before so I switched to an aheadset style stem. I kept the same bars. The new stem is a 130, just like the old one.

When I assempled the bike, I made sure that the drop from the saddle to bars was the same. Problem is, when I ride for a couple hours or longer, my deltoids become very tired & sore. I change hand position frequently. So.....I'm baffled. Got any ideas?:confused5:
Could be it doesn't have anything to do with the bike. Maybe your deltoids just aren't up to the rest of your fitness at this point. The change to the bike (assuming your setup really IS the same) may just be a coincidence.

Could it be that the new fork has upset the bike's geometry? I could see that if it made the bike a lot twitchier, you might be wearing yourself out with tension as your body instinctively tries to keep the bike steady with your arms. Of if steering is heavier (say, this could be caused by your headset being malajusted too), maybe it's more work to steer it (though I kind of doubt this). Are the fork legs shorter (very unlikely)? Maybe you're putting more weight on your arms.

That's all I got for theories.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I'm too lazy to think about geometry, but

if the angle on the stems differ I don't think the reach would be exactly the same with the bars at the same height.

Fwiw, deltoid pain on very long rides lessened considerably when I got longer stems and set my handlebars so the tops, from the stem to the hoods are parallel to the ground.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.