Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like some honest input on a dilemma. I am purchasing a new bike and have 2 options. I've demo'd a few and have found the one that I like, Pinarello ROKH. The shop that carries it has one in my size for $500 less than new as it had been demo'd half a dozen times. This is the one I rode. It is in great condition, I did not notice any scratches except for the bar end and bar tape at that end.

Does this sound like a good deal? I was going to also ask them:
A) Switch out the bar end and new tape since its white and discoloring. I'd at least like to dirty my new bike myself. :D
B) Complete a thorough inspection of all components, cables etc
C) Full warranty is still valid

Or, do I order a new one?

Any thoughts out there?

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Agreed, buy the demo and don't worry about it because the shop has kept it up, demo miles are very low on bikes, it may have no more then 20 miles on it and probably half that, the warranty is as if it was new because it hasn't been sold yet.

Make sure you demo it too to be sure it's the bike for you. Also negotiate a few inexpensive accessories you think you'll need, like perhaps a seat bag with a flat kit, whatever, just let your mind think about what you need and see if they'll throw it in.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If it's your size, you like the color, the warranty is valid and they tune it up, take the demo and save the money. Compared to the life span of the bike, 6 demo rides is meaningless. Sure, there are a few miles on the tires, chain, etc, but they're consumable anyway.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I'd like some honest input on a dilemma. I am purchasing a new bike and have 2 options. I've demo'd a few and have found the one that I like, Pinarello ROKH. The shop that carries it has one in my size for $500 less than new as it had been demo'd half a dozen times. This is the one I rode. It is in great condition, I did not notice any scratches except for the bar end and bar tape at that end.

Does this sound like a good deal? I was going to also ask them:
A) Switch out the bar end and new tape since its white and discoloring. I'd at least like to dirty my new bike myself. :D
B) Complete a thorough inspection of all components, cables etc
C) Full warranty is still valid

Or, do I order a new one?

Any thoughts out there?
Put it in the "Pending answer to question C" file for now. If yes, it's as good as new so buy if you like/want it.
If no, I don't think I'd roll the dice for $500. Nice discount but it's only like 10% - 15% (I think, not really sure what those go for) so not enough to give up a warranty IMO.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Another vote for demo. I bought a Specialized demo that had more scratches but is a mountain bike. No regrets.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
Get the demo. With the $500 you save buy some new bar tape & bar plugs.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Get the demo. With the $500 you save buy some new bar tape & bar plugs.
Hopefully new bar tape and plugs won't cost $500! I think he should request new bar tape and plugs thrown in as part of the purchase deal.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Demo. Warranty won't be a problem. It is unsold as far as the manufacturer is concerned. Tape shouldn't be a problem. You might consider having them write on the sales slip that it has not been in any accidents (they might want to qualify this with a statement that it has not been in any accidents to their knowledge).

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
Hopefully new bar tape and plugs won't cost $500! I think he should request new bar tape and plugs thrown in as part of the purchase deal.
Well, yeah. I was figuring that he might have $15 or $20 left over after getting the new tape & plugs. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Well, yeah. I was figuring that he might have $15 or $20 left over after getting the new tape & plugs. :rolleyes:
If he gets the bar tape and plugs off the internet he might have $50 or so left over, but at the LBS, yeah maybe $15 or $20.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I'd rather pay a premium price for a brand new virgin bicycle, that I alone have ever touched, and will be the very first to break in for the many future road cycling adventures! :D

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I'd rather pay a premium price for a brand new virgin bicycle, that I alone have ever touched, and will be the very first to break in for the many future road cycling adventures! :D
Hold on a minute, the bike gets assembled at the LBS, they put the bike on a repair stand and put it together then spin the crank which spins the chain which spins the wheel. Next they take the bike for a test ride to make sure the bike is good to sell. So sorry, you will can never buy a virgin bike.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hold on a minute, the bike gets assembled at the LBS, they put the bike on a repair stand and put it together then spin the crank which spins the chain which spins the wheel. Next they take the bike for a test ride to make sure the bike is good to sell. So sorry, you will can never buy a virgin bike.
But what if you're the first guy that gets to mount it? :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.