Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just noticed a fairly small dent in the side of my top tube. It's not that big... it's kind of a vertical line about a cm long w/ a little bit of deformation around it... if that makes since. Is this the kind of thing that means the frame could implode at any second?? Or can I still ride it???:eek: :confused: :cryin: :mad2:

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
YMMV &C&C&C, but, lots of people have lots of dents in their Al frames -- I don't think I've seen a CAAD5 frame out there without the ol' dented top tube.

The rule of thumb guys I know have always used is, if the metal is just bent into the dent, ride it, but if it is creased, the frame is done.

Top tube isn't a very stressed part of the frame in any case...

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a small dent in my top tube, CAAD 4 that has been there for 6 or 7 yrs. It is a small dent, and I do not race/sprint. I am about 190 #. I worried about it for a while, but I don't think I stress the bike too much, so It has some pretty good miles on it with the dent.

Post a pic is a good idea.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
California L33 said:
What brand bike? How did it get the dent? What does the LBS say? Post a pic.
Spec. allez.
Not sure. But I think it was when my gf *attacked* the bike... :rolleyes:
Haven't taken it to the LBS.
I tried taking a pic last night but I couldn't really get it to show up. The frame is black which doesn't make it easy... I'll try again in the sunlight.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Based on nothing scientific, if it is just the dent between the 'L' s: I personally would ride that frame. It looks like there is some damage up by the Z? or is that just a reflection?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Just keep an eye on the dent and ride it. I've recently retired (took the components off) an '87 Cannondale with two '89 dents in the top tube and several subsequent hard years of racing. Don't attempt to have the dent 'straightened out'. All it would do is weaken that small area further.

It's another matter altogether if that dent makes your blood boil every time you look at it. :mad2: In that case, get rid of the frame.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've been riding a caad 4 mtb frame with a big dent in the

downtube for 6 years and can't imagine that little mark will be a problem. It is in the non stressed area anyway. How much stress are you going to put on the frame unless your dropping off some 10 footers?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I kinda figured it'd be ok since it's so small and on the side like that. I've heard terrible things about dents in tubing though, so I was just makin sure. But hey, at least it wasn't carbon fiber... :yikes:

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Prolly be fine.

I spent my 3rd to my last year in college putting dents in $2500 worth of tubing. We didnt replace tubes in our space frames till the dent was >20-50% of a compressed member.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BentChainring said:
Prolly be fine.

I spent my 3rd to my last year in college putting dents in $2500 worth of tubing. We didnt replace tubes in our space frames till the dent was >20-50% of a compressed member.

YMMV
.....k0d3?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a dent about twice that size in my CAAD 5 from crashing during a race and having the handlebars swing around and smash into the top tube when they hit the ground. Been riding it now for a few years with no problems. I'd say just keep an eye on it for any distress forming around the dent, but if you don't trust it then it's not worth riding on as any more than a commuter bike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts