Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much Thanks to Bulldozer for gettng the ball rolling and making the tough decisions, like when and where to ride.

We had 8 brave souls crawl out of bed and get to the Deer Creek Canyon starting point by 9:00 am on a cloudy, cool, had already rained and might rain again Memorial Day. And yeah, it was cool for Denver in late May, about 50 *F to start.

Present were, from Left to right Bulldozer, John, BubbaBiker, Chain, and SSChameleon. My Blus bike in the from and Woolbury and his wife getting ready in there truck (hiding).

We rolled out within 5 minutes of our lanned departure, pretty good, I would say. The first 3 miles, so we held together pretty nicely. After that, different story.

Chain and BubbaBiker taking it off as we start to climb Deer Creek Canyon.

The last I see of any of the lead pack, until they waited for me at the High Grade Road turn-off.

There goes Suzie, as she leaves me in the dust up High Grade.

Some of the scenery as we ground our way to the top.

Special thanks to John for hanging back and riding with me up to the School House. I hope the rest of you didn't get too cold waiting the 20 minutes for me to get to the top.

Our group at the "TOP" John, Bulldozer, BubbaBiker, SSChameleon, Suzie, Woolbury, Chain. Special thanks to Suzie for taking a picture with me, and lining it up so you could see more than just a little bit of Woolbury's helmet.

After a little break, we started our decent, which was interupted by some steep climbing, we added another 800 feet, after we got to the top. My pesonal favorite was the sign telling me I was going 37 in a 25 zone, shortly followed by a hard left hand turn and straight up, back to 6mph. Sorry no pictures, but somehow we were magicly transported to the PNW. Fog so thick you couldn't see 100 feet in front of you as you catapulted down the mountain.

Sorry, no pictures from the decent. Here are a couple as I emptied on to the plains.

Where we were.

Were we ended up.

And the wind down, with a post ride brew.

Sorry I missed the after festivities at the Morrison Inn, I hope the beer and burritos were FANTASTIC

Hope to see you all, and more next time, adn maybe a little sun too :thumbsup:

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Now I'm really bummed I missed it. The climb looks nice.

The RBR ride rain dance appears to have worked again.

·
Seat's not level
19,392 Posts
Sledgehammer, thanks for taking the pics. Bulldozer, thanks for putting together the ride. It was good ride even going down throught the fog. Actually that was pretty cool. The rest of the ride was fantastic. The climb was nice and the decents were fun.

The magrarita and burrito was great afterwards also. Next time I'm getting a small marg though.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Haha, how fun was that? Good to meet all you guys! I thought the weather added a special touch, descending in the swirling mists was so cool. Hope we can get another couple lined up this season. Thanks for the effort Bulldozer, the pics and beers Sledgehammer, and to the group for waiting a few minutes as we got ready. Great ride!

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
my excuse...

I was planning on being there, but the wife and her relatives returned at midnight from Phoenix, so I stayed around the house the next morning to attend to my wife and guests (being the resident domestic engineer).

The weather kind of sucked too. I ride to enjoy the sun and good weather as much as anything. I ride this area three times a week, so it's old hat to me. Nice pics though. Maybe next time!

·
Diphthong
4,989 Posts
The easy part was putting the ride together. The hard part was you guys showing up to ride despite the damp weather. It's not often that we get to ride in fog and humidity. Sweating profusely at 50 degrees would take some getting used to.

My thanks to Sledge for stopping to take some pics.

PS - camera flashes do strange things to cycling jackets.

·
Registered
230 Posts
What would we do without you Sledgehammer. No pictures and no beer. Glad somebody was thinking. Next time the beer is on me. I'd bring a camara but who wants to see pictures of my thumb. Anybody have ideas for a Sunday ride up one of those canyons around Boulder?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Great ride all! Sorry I missed it, but busted up my shoulder on the mtb pretty bad the weekend before - dislocation, broken glenoid cavity, torn rotator, torn and detached labrum. Needless to say, I sold my Erock and Triple registrations. :mad: Hope to meet you all next year or possibly this fall.

·
Diphthong
4,989 Posts
ProudDaddy said:
Great ride all! Sorry I missed it, but busted up my shoulder on the mtb pretty bad the weekend before - dislocation, broken glenoid cavity, torn rotator, torn and detached labrum. Needless to say, I sold my Erock and Triple registrations. :mad: Hope to meet you all next year or possibly this fall.
Remind me not to ride behind you...

Ouch.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Bulldozer said:
Remind me not to ride behind you...

Ouch.
ha ha......it was a freak accident thanks to a wet slippery root (how often do you encounter those on the front range?) on a non-technical decent of a trail I've rode many times. I happenened to be with some less experienced riders and after riding out with one arm one commented, "now we just need you to injure your leg". :p anyway, sucks being off the bike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.