Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all:

I have some older 9 speed Veloce components that I am running this year. In the small chainring and largest cog (granny gear), the pulley rides so close to the cogs that there is a grinding. I have run the B screw in all the way. See photos.

First picture shows the B screw and the second shows the pulley contact.

I am considering two solutions: First, shorten the chain by 2 links. I might have made it a bit too long. Second, get a longer B screw.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Steve.

· n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Only shorten the chain if it's actually too long. A longer B screw would do the trick regardless of chain length.

· Registered
1,077 Posts
Put your chain on big cog in back and big ring in front. Looking from the side, sight a line 90 degrees perpendicular to the floor or use a T-square tool. When the chain is the right length, both pulleys will line up on the perpendicular line. Looking at the picture above, it looks like the test will show you need to take out a link or two. Take one link out at time. It's more of a pain, but you'll get it right and not end up with a chain that it too short.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.