Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below are some pictures of my broken bike, the derailleur has snapped off from the bike.

It is a newly purchased 2nd hand QR Lucero carbon fiber tri bike.

I was changing into 1st when the bloody thing just went up into the spokes and snapped off.

Looks like a nightmare to fix as it seems to be part of the frame or can it be welded.

I will take it to a bike shop tomorrow but if I could get a heads up on what maybe required it would be great. I feel like ill need a new frame as the whole thing seems attached. And thus have wasted $1500.

Any Advice Appreciated.

Ian Doherty

· Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
EEK! Not a replaceable derailleur hanger. The dropouts will have to be replaced, and you might be able to get one inserted that has a replaceable hanger. Your shop should know who to send it to.
Oh, might look into getting both replaced, with vertical dropouts, to facilitate changing tires.
And welcome to the forums.

· Registered
11,555 Posts
If you can get a replacement dropout from the frame seller and find someone who repairs carbon, it's not that difficult of a job. The dropout is glued into the chainstay, so careful application of heat will soften the bond. After cleaning the inside of the chainstay , the new dropout is glued in and re-attached to the seatstay.

· Registered
11,555 Posts
Sounds like a plan.

iandoherty said:
I'm gonna try and see if I can get a replaceable hanger attached some how.
Seeing how little material you got to work with, the "department store claw hanger" might be your best bet. Here's a picture of one, and some ideas on how to modify it so it'll work with your frame. Might have to flip it for your rear-facing slot.
http://www.crankzone.com/make-a-universal-derailleur-hanger/

· Registered
238 Posts
Better solution......that's a horizontal dropout, so that frame has fixie written all over it! Saw the remaining stub off, get a rear track wheel, and you're good to go! Then get a new road frame and install the drivetrain.

· Matnlely Dregaend
5,068 Posts
I'm curious if you changed to a larger cassette end cog or chain ring when this happened without adding links in the chain?

· 'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,965 Posts
i'll bet that bike fell over or somehow landed on the right hand side right before this whole thing happened, yeah? if your bike shifts just fine, and then all of a sudden sucks the derailleur into the spokes, 9 out of 10 times that's the reason. if the chain is the proper length, you can switch between a 21 and a 28 and not have problems like this. the hanger was probably bent from a crash or fall over and could do nothing other than shift into the spokes...

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it never shifted well, never bothered to get a tune when i bought it 2 weeks ago, i knew it caught a little bit before never used the lowest gear much & when I was going slow it caught a small bolt end good and proper and just ripped it off, the spokes are perfect. live and learn I guess, got a tri in 12 days time, gonna use a temp. hanger if possible. then not sure what ill do.... seems like a pricey fix for something that can snap again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.