Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay here is my problem. I didn't have a problem at all with my new Special Ed Allez other than flat tires and I've had it almost 5 months. (I LOATHE flat tires!) Now I have a problem that I can't figgure out. I adjust the rear dreaileur to work properly on the big gear, but when I shift into the little gears the chain starts jumping. So then I adjust it for the small gears, and it just jumps on the big gears. ("jumping" is when the chain trys to ride off center of the sprocket it's supposed to be aligned with for unknown reason...) I have tried adjusting it to perfect alignment on the center most sprocket, but when I do that the chain jumps on both the big sprocket and the small sprocket..

Okay so I'm a total and complete newbie to road biking. I have wanted a fast sleek bike for some time, but always seemed to end up buying a mountain bike instead. I have crashed only once and that was right smack into the side of a big pruple dodge pickup that pulled out infront of me at an intersection when I was flying down a steep hill. I saved myself and the bike by doing a spectacular front dismount right onto the pavement and rolling into the truck glancing off it with my unlucky shoulder. (OUCH!) I cracked the housing on the brake hood (uhh it's a..... gotta go look.... shimano Sora Flightdeck) Anyway It worked fine anyway until now. I went to the trusty LBS and had a new brake/shift assembly put on it. It's the same exact thing that came on the bike. Now it won't work worth beans. I don't know if I should just try taking it back to the bike shop or what.

I also found a banged up area on the deraileur looking like it smacked pavement. I had originally thought that the barke lever housing was the only thing wrong after the crash.

Please help. Is there another adjustment that I don't know about that causes the indexing to get farther apart or something? I suspect that this may be the case. Then again I just DON"T KNOW!!!

Sorely aggravated,

Gabriel454

P.S. thanks for the time and effort taken in explaining what could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
You almost surely have a bent derailleur hanger. That's a common issue. Shops have a tool for realigning derailleur hangers. It's usually about a $15.00 or $20.00 job.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Agree'd, it is very likely your derailleur hanger. The shop should have tuned the bike perfectly...so surely they should have noticed that there is a problem. Take the bike back in, let them know it is not shifting correctly and ask them to check the derailler hanger.

And watch out for purple Dodge's.

-Danimal

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thank you for the info. I will try aligning the hanger myself. My nextdoor neighbor has the tool (found out yesterday) and says it's really easy to use and that It just aligns the hanger to the rim. I have a really true rim (thanks to hours and hours of turning spoke nipples. DANG these rims are really sensitive to the spoke tension definately more so than mountain rims!

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Since you're the same genius who came up with the "frictionless barkes" post, I assume you realise that bike mechanics always adjust the derailleur when it's in one of the middle gears??? I mean, a superior mind such as your should know that error propigation only increases problems when you adjust at the limits of travel........

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
rocco said:
As my father would say, "The deraileur can't be stupid, stupid."
But you have to admit Special Ed Allez is pretty clever. I like this young whipper snapper he's got moxie.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Stupid Question...

OK, stop me if I read this wrong. You have had this bike for 5 months right? I'm assuming you purchased it new, right? Since it's a Specialized you got it from a LBS, right? Assuming your LBS isn't supported by a bunch of morons, then why the hell are you monkeying around with this since most shops have a 6 mo or 1 yr tune up???

Dude, hours spent trueing a wheel? If you're proficient at it with your mountain bike, then, unless you have some super high tech wheels, there should be no difference.

If I bought a new bike, and 5 months later I needed to have the wheels trued and derailuer adjusted, I'd be taking it back to the shop and making them do it for free.

·
Banned
653 Posts
Dave_Stohler said:
The guy's a troll. See his other posts.
I don't know. Since he isn't charging admission, maybe we should just sit back and enjoy
the show. The guy only has fifteen posts, maybe things will change. :rolleyes:

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Hung up on looks

Can the guy really help how he looks? Maybe he has a kind heart? Or, like they say when they're trying to pass a fat chick off onto you "he has a great personality".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts