Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new at tuning my own bike and recently I changed all the cables in my DA 9 speed. Since I had just installed the used DA components from another bike to my own bike, I needed to adjust the shifting. I did some dumb things like mess with the limit screws but I finally got the shifting right at least when the chain is on the front small chainring. I can shift to all 9 cogs OK.

But when I shift the front der to the large chainring and start shifting from the small cog to the larger ones, at about the 4th cog out I can hear and see the chain touching the inner jockey wheel cage plate and the closer the der gets to the largest cog, the harder it rubs and louder the rubbing on the inner cage plate is. It seems the top (g-pulley?) wheel is in line with the cogswhen shifting but the bottom wheel is out of line with the top.

Can anyone tell me what is causing this? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Are you sure the chain rub is not on the front?

Due to the angle this is most common. The chain rub actually happens on the front derailleur.

Both jockey wheels on a rear derailleur should be in line with the cog on the rear cassette. So the "rubbing" on the plate should not be possible unless your derailleur is bent. (However, if it is bent you should be seeing problems with all the gears).

The last thing I would suggest checking is the chain itself. Shimano chains are quiet, but Wipperman chains can be REALLY loud when you get to the steeper chainline angles. Drove me nuts. No rub, just the clink/clink of every link matching up to the front chainring.

You may want to check the following links just to double check your setup and alignment. http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64 and http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=39

·
Registered
77 Posts
i'm confused at what the problem is, but something i learned is L is for LIN (L, the inside, limit) and H is how high of a gear you can go, so with that you should be able to adjust the derailleurs as needed. the the barrell adjustments, the adjusters ON the derailleur you turn the barrell to the inside if he needs to adjust inside or outside if it needs to go to the outside. and opposite on the downtube... good luck

russell

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

cthomas said:
Due to the angle this is most common. The chain rub actually happens on the front derailleur.

Both jockey wheels on a rear derailleur should be in line with the cog on the rear cassette. So the "rubbing" on the plate should not be possible unless your derailleur is bent. (However, if it is bent you should be seeing problems with all the gears).

This is good info and might be the cause as I was tweaking the front also. I will check out the front der tonight and see what happens

1 - 4 of 4 Posts