Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-
I am beginning a build with campy veloce. I am curious on what size derailleur I should get. I want to run a 50/34 compact crank and am curious what spreads I can have on the cassette with a short or medium derailleur. I'd like to be able to run a 11-23 for flatter stuff and probably a 11-25 or 12-25 for hills. Would all these cassettes work with a short derailleur? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, thanks. I just looked at the campy website, and it says a medium cage will fit any cassette with a standard or compact crank. What are the drawbacks of running a medium cage with a tight cassette?

·
Registered
188 Posts
The shorter the cage, the more accurate the shift (typically) as the lower part of the cage has more distance to travel when further away from the cogset.

I've seen both in action on a slo motion video, and to be real honest, I didn't see the delay that the engineers were telling me existed.

That and the obvious longer chain, longer cage = heavier - but we're talking a few grams.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.