Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hybrid and it has a Shimano Deore LX derailleur and a SRAM 11-32, 9 speed cassette. It is way to much range for me and I would like to put on a 12-26 or 12-25. SRAM has a low cost 12-26; would that work with the rear Derailleur and the 9 speed Shimano Deore shifter?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Should be fine.

You might get slightly better performance if you loosen the B-tension screw, but you'd probably do just as well leaving it alone.

You can use a gear ratio calculator to figure out how much overlap you have in your gear inches with different versions of your drivetrain. Generally, a triple crank needs a fair amount of overlap due to unusable gears at the extremes of each range.

EDIT: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
VEN, you may have to shorten your chain a link or two as well...try the new cassette without shortening first and see how it does.

·
huvia ja hyötyä
572 Posts
You don't have to shorten the chain but you probably could take one link out, to reduce the amount of chain slack.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
perttime said:
You don't have to shorten the chain but you probably could take one link out, to reduce the amount of chain slack.
+1, (sort of) You definitely don't have to shorten the chain because the sum of the small/small combination is unchanged, or even 1 tooth more.

You could shorten the chain by an amount corresponding the reduced total of the big/big combination, but it won't increase chain tension, because the RD cage tension is from a multi-turn spring, and the tension doesn't change significantly over a few degrees of wind up.

·
huvia ja hyötyä
572 Posts
FBinNY said:
You could shorten the chain by an amount corresponding the reduced total of the big/big combination, but it won't increase chain tension, because the RD cage tension is from a multi-turn spring,
I'll take your word on the tension :p

Removing a link would save a few grams (if you care) and there'd be a little less chain (weight and length) rattling against the chain stay when hopping curbs etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts