Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
What the Hell is going on
5,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
I'm slowly building my first Campy equipped bike. I just got a Campy front derailleur but it doesn't look right. I thought the derailleur cage should have the same curviture as the chainring. Did I get a triple front derailleur or does all Campy front dereailleurs look like this?

BTW, got no love on the Campagnolo forum.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree with divve, in your picture, the braze on tab looks twisted. The top of the tab looks closer to the front edge of the seat tube than the bottom. It should be parallel. Then again, it could just be the angle of the phototgraph.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Nope

By your picture, it looks like there is some misalignment, with the rear of the derailleur tipped too far away from the rings. I have 4 generations of Campy derailleurs in the house, and while there is some variation in the "curavture match" it looks like yours is out of the range of normal. None of the derailleurs match the curvature of the chain ring - they all are farther from the teeth at the rear of the cage than at the front of the cage. That said, it could just be the angle of the photo that makes yours look goofy. How about you take some measurements - the gap to the chain rings at the front of the cage and the gap at the rear of the cage. If you share the numbers, we can compare objectively. I measured the gap from the rear outer cage to a chain ring tooth, taken along the radius of the chain ring (perpendicular to a tangent):
2004 Chorus: 6 mm
1998 Record: 5 mm
1989 Record: 5 mm
1972 Nuovo Record: 4 mm

These derailleurs are adjusted so that the front of the cage just barely clears the chain ring teeth during a shift - approximately 1 mm clearance.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
seat tube angle???

It could be that the braze-on does not sit at the same angle as the seat tube, but a steep STA can also produce this position of the FD.

As long as your shifting is OK and the chain does not contact the lower end of the FD cage when you're in the small chainring and next to smallest cog, it doesn't matter.

On frames that use a clamp-on FD, I have used a clamp-on adapter with a braze-on FD and modified the angle of the mounting surface on the adapter, by carefully grinding with a dremel tool.

·
Banned
662 Posts
C-40 said:
It could be that the braze-on does not sit at the same angle as the seat tube, but a steep STA can also produce this position of the FD.

As long as your shifting is OK and the chain does not contact the lower end of the FD cage when you're in the small chainring and next to smallest cog, it doesn't matter.

On frames that use a clamp-on FD, I have used a clamp-on adapter with a braze-on FD and modified the angle of the mounting surface on the adapter, by carefully grinding with a dremel tool.
Are you talking about using a material shim-piece in-between the braze-on FD mount and the
the FD mount? Then are you talking about making the shim piece into a sort of wedge
that has the correct angle to slightly rotate the FD counter-clockwise once it is attached
to the frame's braze-on mount?

·
Registered
10,161 Posts

·
5,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Measured

Kerry Irons said:
By your picture, it looks like there is some misalignment, with the rear of the derailleur tipped too far away from the rings. I have 4 generations of Campy derailleurs in the house, and while there is some variation in the "curavture match" it looks like yours is out of the range of normal. None of the derailleurs match the curvature of the chain ring - they all are farther from the teeth at the rear of the cage than at the front of the cage. That said, it could just be the angle of the photo that makes yours look goofy. How about you take some measurements - the gap to the chain rings at the front of the cage and the gap at the rear of the cage. If you share the numbers, we can compare objectively. I measured the gap from the rear outer cage to a chain ring tooth, taken along the radius of the chain ring (perpendicular to a tangent):
2004 Chorus: 6 mm
1998 Record: 5 mm
1989 Record: 5 mm
1972 Nuovo Record: 4 mm

These derailleurs are adjusted so that the front of the cage just barely clears the chain ring teeth during a shift - approximately 1 mm clearance.
I measured my derailleur cage and the numbers are way off. I adjusted the front cage to a 2mm clearance (a la Shimano) and the rear of the cage is a whooping 9mm off!!! I took of the derailleur and by just eye-balling the hanger it looks straight. I wedged a small finishing nail between the top of the derailleur hanger bolt and it looked much better but it still bothers me that I had to wedge a nail in there to make it "look right".

Sigh. Should I just stick with Shimano? I haven't had a chance to run a chain thru the drive train yet because I'm still amassing the pieces.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
same problem...

JaeP said:
Should I just stick with Shimano? I haven't had a chance to run a chain thru the drive train yet because I'm still amassing the pieces.
Switching to a shimano FD won't cure your problem. It's undoubtedly a hanger problem. As noted earlier, unless the shifting is poor or the chain contacts the lower end of the cage (unlikely) then don't worry about it.

·
5,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's the derailleurs fault

I just found an Ultegra front derailleur in my Big-Box-'O-Bike-Parts (Man, I gotta go through that and see what I can sell off) and put it on the Bottecchia and it looks "correct". I guess I have to look for a Campagnolo front derailleur with more "curve" to the cage.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
i think the first one you used was damaged, the 'body' looks too vertical, and i'm not sure if the arm that holds the cable is s'posed to be bent back like that, but it could be an older unit that differs from the new stuff that i'm used to.. my guess is the campy one you used is damaged goods... either way, is thera reason why you cant use the shimano one? you could always remove the offending graphics !? hehe

cheers, good to see it sorted !

joe

·
5,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bike Lust

I have several bikes and they all have Shimano. Ever since I started riding, almost 20 years ago, I've always lusted after a red Italian steel bike with Campagnolo C-Record (or just plain ole Record). I'm even going to get me some Campy Delta calipers! I know they are difficult to adjust and they don't really work that well (someone once discribed them as 'speed adjusters') but they look so purdy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.