Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
I have a shimano derailleur 105 on a Specialized Roubaix bike.
For some reason, when it's on the front-small gear, it will not change.

I brought my bike to the store two weeks ago and they installed a new one. (shifter)
I was using my bike a few days after and the problem appeared again.

Anyone know why it would still cause problems?

· Registered
103 Posts
It sounds like the cable has a bit too much slack, this is normal with new cables they will strech. Turn the barrel adjuster on the RD (it's the part the cable goes into on the RD) counter clockwise until you feel the slack in the cable (closest to the drive side of the bike)go away. It does not need to be tight. Test the shifting for improvment. Once you have it shifting you can fine tune by turning 1/4 turn clockwise/counter clockwise until you see no improvement in shifting. That it keep going in one direction until the shifting gets worse then change direction and do the same thing. The sweetspot will be about halfway between the points were shifting got worse (clockwise/counter clockwise).

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,358 Posts
Sounds like a wrench didn't tighten the cable bolt on the front Der tight enough, and it slipped.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.