Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Refurbishing an old 6 sp drive train that had 10 tooth pulleys. Can I put on a der. with 11 tooth pulleys. What is the main difference? I know that 10 tooth don't fit in a newer derr. Many thanks.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
You're replacing the whole D, right, not just the pulleys?

If it's a friction shifter, you can put just about anything back there. Before I converted my old Trek to singlespeed, it ran for awhile with Suntour XC Pro thumb shifters, a Campy 990 derailleur and Maillard Helicomatic freewheel. Shifted fine.
If it's indexed . . . well, I dunno, because I only have one bike with indexed shifting. I can sort of envision a scenario where it wouldn't work, but I can also envision one where it would. Somebody else will know, though.

·
naranjito
785 Posts
I don't think there's any reason for it not to work. You might need to add a link to the chain becuase it has a couple of extra teeth to wrap around, but apart from that you should be fine. I think the main reason for increasing the teeth on the jockey wheels is to make the chainline around them a bit smoother. It might be designed to improve shifting on indexed systems too, but aprat from that I can't think of anything else.

foz

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
No chain change

foz said:
You might need to add a link to the chain becuase it has a couple of extra teeth to wrap around
Nope. Chain wrap on cogs and chain rings is not the same with derailleur pulleys, as they are free to rotate. If you look at the chain line when in the big-big combination, you will see that the size of the derailleur pulleys means nothing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts