Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed to Des Moines for a wedding in late June and was wondering if there are any bike shops downtown that rent. I'm staying at the Marriott at Grand and 7th. Any other relevant info would be great - weather, routes, etc.

Thanks in advance.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
If you're looking for something for a longer ride, check out Rasmussen's downtown:

http://www.rasmussenbikeshop.com/

If you just want to do some light pedaling, they have installed a bike rental kiosk next to the Brenton Skating Plaza downtown. It's just on the other side of the river, across from the Embassy Suites.

As for routes, if you're looking for MUT trails, check out Gray's Lake and Water Works Park. From there you can connect to a network that can take you all over.

Weather... :) it's the midwest... your guess is as good as mine.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Weather in June. Usually I'd say hot a humid, but it's been a relatively tame year this year so far.

There are a ton of great paths in and around Des Moines. Wish I still lived there :(

·
Registered
332 Posts
You can also check out Kyle's Bikes. A little out of downtown, but is a shop that I instantly fell in love with. Small, service is incredible. If Kyle can't help you out, he will direct you to who can.

A lot of the paved trails really depend on the river not being up. I don't know how much it has been up this year (now living in Indianapolis).

·
Registered
165 Posts
River is not really out of control right now. The eastern side of the state got pretty bad (read Mississippi) but DM has not had many issues. My mom still lives there so I hear all about it.

If you want to drive a bit to a trail, there is a brand spankin new one just north of DM called the High Trussel Trail, lots of bridges, hear it is pretty nice!

·
Registered
53 Posts
if the river is under control now, i don't see it getting worse this summer. as for routes, i like west and south from the city, and there are trails out of water works park for both. the southern trail goes 15ish miles, so you can do an out and back for 30 miles. west you can go 60ish some miles to jefferson, which makes it better than a century for an out and back. the nice part of west is usually the wind is at you back on the ride home too. all those routes you can leave and return from your hotel, if you want to drive a bit before you start, the then head north to the saylorville area. i hate riding there from the city, the path has cracks in it that make my whole body hurt after. not bad once you're out of town, but terrible getting there.

my personal fav from a downtown hotel would be ride into water works, hook up with the bill riley trail, go across the bridge, and take a right where the trail crosses the train tracks. from there you will ride a trail up to a pool called ashworth. you're now on a street called 45th. keep heading north from here and you will have a shallow steady climb to grand ave. turn right (east) and head right again on 42nd (south). now you're in rolling hills. 42nd ends in a T, take a left and you will be on a street that more or less follows the river south and east by way of river oaks dr, which turns into lincoln place, and eventually 31st. take 31st north and you have a stead climb back to grand. the intersection on grand is a bit funny, but head north there and then one block later take a left (west) you're on ingersoll. that street has a bike lane, which you can use to get back to 44th, (45th doesn't go south from ingersoll to grand) 44th will almost line up with 45 south to ashworth. take a right and a quick left. you're now heading south to the bike path and pool again. you can find your way home from there

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if the river is under control now, i don't see it getting worse this summer. as for routes, i like west and south from the city, and there are trails out of water works park for both. the southern trail goes 15ish miles, so you can do an out and back for 30 miles. west you can go 60ish some miles to jefferson, which makes it better than a century for an out and back. the nice part of west is usually the wind is at you back on the ride home too. all those routes you can leave and return from your hotel, if you want to drive a bit before you start, the then head north to the saylorville area. i hate riding there from the city, the path has cracks in it that make my whole body hurt after. not bad once you're out of town, but terrible getting there.

my personal fav from a downtown hotel would be ride into water works, hook up with the bill riley trail, go across the bridge, and take a right where the trail crosses the train tracks. from there you will ride a trail up to a pool called ashworth. you're now on a street called 45th. keep heading north from here and you will have a shallow steady climb to grand ave. turn right (east) and head right again on 42nd (south). now you're in rolling hills. 42nd ends in a T, take a left and you will be on a street that more or less follows the river south and east by way of river oaks dr, which turns into lincoln place, and eventually 31st. take 31st north and you have a stead climb back to grand. the intersection on grand is a bit funny, but head north there and then one block later take a left (west) you're on ingersoll. that street has a bike lane, which you can use to get back to 44th, (45th doesn't go south from ingersoll to grand) 44th will almost line up with 45 south to ashworth. take a right and a quick left. you're now heading south to the bike path and pool again. you can find your way home from there
Thanks for the info - the West and South routes both seem like good options. I'll ask the shop as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts