Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting my first custom titanium bike. One of the builders that I have been talking to is DeSalvo. Just wanted to know if anyone had experience with these bikes or Mike. Any problems? And how do I decide finally? I am a bit unnerved placing my trust in someone when I don't have much information about quality or build. Are his bikes usually right on? One other question is what needs to be considered in the fit. Should I go to a shop that does the fit for Seven or Serotta and just use those numbers? PLease tell me everything that would help this first time custom buyer get the bike that I dream of. Thanks!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Zelda said:
I am looking into getting my first custom titanium bike. One of the builders that I have been talking to is DeSalvo. Just wanted to know if anyone had experience with these bikes or Mike. Any problems? And how do I decide finally? I am a bit unnerved placing my trust in someone when I don't have much information about quality or build. Are his bikes usually right on? One other question is what needs to be considered in the fit. Should I go to a shop that does the fit for Seven or Serotta and just use those numbers? PLease tell me everything that would help this first time custom buyer get the bike that I dream of. Thanks!
DeSalvo are GREAT bikes. I have a freind that worked with Mike last season to get his cross bike.

One thing though, if you want to ride it sometime this season, get it ordered now. Fit and building the frame are cake. Getting it painted... that can take a while. He was using a company out of Colorado to powdercoat (they did an incredible job), but they tend to get backed up. I have heard of some frames taking up to 4 months through DeSalvo.

Ask him if he's corrected the issues that the powdercoating place was causing before you commit... and order early. He ordered his in early June, and finally got it in September, the week before his first cross race. The bike came out phenomenal... but 4 months wait?

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
A fellow club rider has a DeSalvo and I really think it is a beautiful bike and he's been thrilled. I wouldn't hesitate.

For fitting, I wouldn't drop the coin on a Serotta fit. Every shop I know that offers it charges over $100.

Talk to the folks at DeSalvo re: their suggestions on getting fit evaluated. Assuming this isn't your first road bike and you've got fit dialed in, then you can rely on existing measurements.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
jtolleson said:
A fellow club rider has a DeSalvo and I really think it is a beautiful bike and he's been thrilled. I wouldn't hesitate.

For fitting, I wouldn't drop the coin on a Serotta fit. Every shop I know that offers it charges over $100.

Talk to the folks at DeSalvo re: their suggestions on getting fit evaluated. Assuming this isn't your first road bike and you've got fit dialed in, then you can rely on existing measurements.
Definitely get your builder's suggestions for getting fitted--you want to go with a system they understand and can relate to. That said, I think most reputable fitting systems that will leave you with numbers you can rely on will cost you some pretty good bucks. I paid a good deal more than $100 for the full-deal Serotta fitting, which took about 3 hours, including about 2 hours on the adjustable bike, but it was well worth it in my mind. The builder I chose (Dave Kirk) used to work at Serotta and is intimately familiar with their fit concept and documents, so what I got was really useful for him.

The bike I wound up with is unbelievably comfortable, and handles like a dream. I think a proper fitting was critical to that.

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
Hey Kona Man

KonaMan said:
DeSalvo are GREAT bikes. I have a freind that worked with Mike last season to get his cross bike.

One thing though, if you want to ride it sometime this season, get it ordered now. Fit and building the frame are cake. Getting it painted... that can take a while. He was using a company out of Colorado to powdercoat (they did an incredible job), but they tend to get backed up. I have heard of some frames taking up to 4 months through DeSalvo.

Ask him if he's corrected the issues that the powdercoating place was causing before you commit... and order early. He ordered his in early June, and finally got it in September, the week before his first cross race. The bike came out phenomenal... but 4 months wait?
Did you like that awesome 2 day dry spell we had? drowning I am. Gotta second the thumbs up for Desalvo, Joshua's is a work of art. Seen quite a few at the CrossCrusade also. Mighty nice and not as long a wait as a Vanilla.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
Did you like that awesome 2 day dry spell we had? drowning I am. Gotta second the thumbs up for Desalvo, Joshua's is a work of art. Seen quite a few at the CrossCrusade also. Mighty nice and not as long a wait as a Vanilla.
You had two days of no-rain? How about that, we just had 45 minutes of no-sun!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I've seen a lot of DeSalvos. Each one of them a keeper. I wouldn't bother getting fitted before I talked to mike first. BTW. I've seen some really ugly creations as a result of the Serotta fit system.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Don't get me started...

Phat&SlowVelo said:
too late!

OK, so... totally off topic, but took the bike to work yesterday hoping to get in a lunch time ride (it's sunny at home and all over PDX) only to discover that south of I-5/I-205 is socked in completely. Total FOG haze all freaking day long. There was maybe a half an hour where I could see across the parking lot, but my lunch/work rides take me through areas that I knew would be almost no visibility.

Today, I hold out... keep the gear in the car, head to work.. maybe the rain will hold up just long enough. 11 am, total downpour. fawkinghell

My co-worker has a beautiful DeSalvo, waited forever for it... and I snuck out with him at lunch to pick it up when it arrived to get a good look at the unveiling.

·
Registered
354 Posts
KonaMan said:
too late!

OK, so... totally off topic, but took the bike to work yesterday hoping to get in a lunch time ride (it's sunny at home and all over PDX) only to discover that south of I-5/I-205 is socked in completely. Total FOG haze all freaking day long. There was maybe a half an hour where I could see across the parking lot, but my lunch/work rides take me through areas that I knew would be almost no visibility.

Today, I hold out... keep the gear in the car, head to work.. maybe the rain will hold up just long enough. 11 am, total downpour. fawkinghell

My co-worker has a beautiful DeSalvo, waited forever for it... and I snuck out with him at lunch to pick it up when it arrived to get a good look at the unveiling.
Ha! At least you only have rain to deal with. Here in Bend, it is a sheet of ice and snow. I was out of town during the "dry" spell, and now that I am back, it looks just like it did when I left (very cold and icy). Feel fortunate that you can at least somewhat ride!

·
1,144 Posts
Hey Dawgcatching

dawgcatching said:
Ha! At least you only have rain to deal with. Here in Bend, it is a sheet of ice and snow. I was out of town during the "dry" spell, and now that I am back, it looks just like it did when I left (very cold and icy). Feel fortunate that you can at least somewhat ride!
Don't you huys have a whole series of trails out buy china hat or out buy smith rock, or horse ridge? I'll take your dry and snowy winters over out soggy diapers anyday. I'd be out on my cross bike exploring all winter long.......

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
Don't you huys have a whole series of trails out buy china hat or out buy smith rock, or horse ridge? I'll take your dry and snowy winters over out soggy diapers anyday. I'd be out on my cross bike exploring all winter long.......
URGENT!!!!! TUCSON WEATHER NEWSFLASH:
I saw a couple of clouds today as a 70 degree breeze blew across my face.

We now return you to your soggy lot in life that keeps you from enjoying your new Ti steed.

·
1,144 Posts
That was just plain mean....

alienator said:
URGENT!!!!! TUCSON WEATHER NEWSFLASH:
I saw a couple of clouds today as a 70 degree breeze blew across my face.

We now return you to your soggy lot in life that keeps you from enjoying your new Ti steed.
rubbin it in are you, it's only a matter of time before this weather drives me outta here for good. Eastern Oregon here I come! (do they have bike shops in Eastern Oregon) :confused:

·
wheel to wheel
2,236 Posts
Zelda said:
DeSalvo has a great reputation.
Where are you in California?
If you're near Santa Maria, you should talk with Jim Kish as well.
His turnaround is very fast (if he's not teaching at UBI) and quality is super.
See this thread: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=51261&page=1&pp=50

If you are committed to custom, I think it definitely helps to meet the builder. Discuss your desires at length, take your current bike (with your notes on likes/dislikes) to the builder so they can measure and watch you ride. Be open with them and yourself about what you really will use the bike for, etc. If you do that work, you won't need a $100 FitKit measurement (perhaps done by someone who is not even a good fitter and probably doesn't know measuring as well as the builder).

And remember, whoever you go with, you don't HAVE to paint ti.... ;)
Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts