Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Rodie Persona
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On April 2nd I sent in my deposit to DeSalvo Cycles for a custom steel road frame. I wanted an all day, century, double century, brevet, ultra light touring frame. My only big geometry issue was my current ride (Lemond Zurich) was too stretched out and I need a shorter top tube.

After much waiting Mike is starting on my frame!!! We were almost there a few weeks ago but we just ran out of time to nail down the details before I went on vacation. We discussed all the remaining issues (mainly geometry) yesterday. Basically I left the geometry decision up to Mike. I figured who am I, he is the frame builder.

Mike is also building me a matching fork with mid fork eyelets for a Tubus Duo front rack. Other details include a 3rd water bottle mount under the down tube and eyelets for a rear rack as well. I skipped the idea of down tube shifter bosses and headtube mounted cable routing. Tubing is Columbus Life.

Frame should be done in about two weeks and off to paint. I am going with a blood red paint with white panels. The DeSalvo logo will be in a retro Frigidaire font and the bike will be named RoadMaven.

My hope is to have it by before August 1st but that is going to be tight. More to come when the bike is complete.

Below is the geometry to be used.

· Registered
92 Posts
You don't need no stinkin vacation! We do however need to see that frame ASAP!!

I like your way of thinking on the geometry. Saddle even with bars.....I can only dream. We are gonna need a lot of info on this build of yours when you get it built up!

Good colors too.

· Rodie Persona
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike finished welding the frame and fork yesterday!!!! The fork is lugged with curved blades. We discussed a few last minute items to make sure he had everything dialed in, 3rd bottle mounts, no pump peg, Shimano parts. He thinks he can get my cable guides mounted on the headtube like I wanted. He wasn't sure at first but looks like he can.

The frame and fork went off to paint yesterday. They are going to powder coat blood red and bone white panels. I sent along a special font to use for the DeSalvo logo. It's a retro Frigidaire font. Pretty cool. On the driveside top tube will be RoadMaven and on the non-driveside will be Mike's signature. On the seat tube will be a Columbus logo. Mike is pretty jazzed about the design. He said it's a cool mix of modern and retro. It makes me happy that he likes the design we worked out.

As for parts I ordered a Cane Creek S3 headset, Thompson post and stem, Alligator iLink cables, all silver. And from VeloOrange I ordered sew up elk hide bar "tape" in honey and retro looking Salsa cages. I really wanted the Nitto cages but could spend $80 on two cages.

I'm getting really excited. It's going to be cool to be going from carbon everything to steel and leather everything. Hope to have the completed frame and fork August 1st. Mike is pulling out all the stops to meet that goal.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
What kind of tubeset?

· Rodie Persona
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know I feel your pain. Imagine mine. :)

The frame should be here in a few days. More photos then.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.