Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok: here's the dilema, which one? DeSalvo is a few hundred cheaper and I have a very competent fav shop in Cyclepath to work with. Ti cross frame, I could get away with Mikes stock geo here. Jim Kish is a few hundred more, although it would be custom and I'd get to work with him direct. I'm really stumped on this one, as I'm a huge fan of both of these builders. Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
How amusing, I've been having the same discussion with myself of late. My much planned rough-road-Asia bike has fallen through, due to the builder treating me like dirt.

So I was pretty much convinced I was going to go with Mike, then I got thinking about Rob, then I had completely made up my mind on a Co-Motion Nor'wester and now, it's finally come down to a Mootour. I'm starting the ball rolling on that this week. Vamoots geometry with a shallower HTA, fender bosses, canti mounts, S&S couplers, etc.

Oh, to your question - go with deSalvo, I've been wanting one of those for years.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
.... although it would be custom and I'd get to work with him direct. I'm really stumped on this one, as I'm a huge fan of both of these builders. Any help would be appreciated.:confused:
I've said it before - working directly with the builder can perhaps make a big diff. Go with the builder you can work most closely with.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Call them both up

and talk to them about your dilema. They probably get a kick out of it. Mike and Jim are pretty good friends and hang out quite a bit when Jim comes up to teach at UBI. Mike actually lives in the same house where Jim used to when he still lived in Ashland.

·
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nope

No Parlee, for some reason Carbon just doesn't do it for me. I see bikes that got carbon everything, just doesn't blow my skirt up. Now a fine crafted steel or especially Ti frame. UMMMM, Me luv longtime! Now what I really want is a Kish compact road and a DeSalvo cross, but alas the dosh aint there for both. And I have talked to them both and I really like each builder, that's why this is such a dilema.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
No Parlee, for some reason Carbon just doesn't do it for me. I see bikes that got carbon everything, just doesn't blow my skirt up. Now a fine crafted steel or especially Ti frame. UMMMM, Me luv longtime! Now what I really want is a Kish compact road and a DeSalvo cross, but alas the dosh aint there for both. And I have talked to them both and I really like each builder, that's why this is such a dilema.
Get the DeSalvo, 'cuz I want to see one.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mike DeSalvo, He Da Man.

I have a DeSalvo 29" Single Speed and I love it. Mike was a pleasure to work with, even if it took a long- long- L O N G time to get teh frame in my hot little hands. His welding is like the brush strokes of DaVinci. Unbelievable.

My guess is that if you want to diverge from stock geometry, that won't change the deal, since he is so busy. I find it hard to believe he has a bunch of stock frames hanging on his wall, you know.

·
Registered
82 Posts
terry b said:
How amusing, I've been having the same discussion with myself of late. My much planned rough-road-Asia bike has fallen through, due to the builder treating me like dirt.

So I was pretty much convinced I was going to go with Mike, then I got thinking about Rob, then I had completely made up my mind on a Co-Motion Nor'wester and now, it's finally come down to a Mootour. I'm starting the ball rolling on that this week. Vamoots geometry with a shallower HTA, fender bosses, canti mounts, S&S couplers, etc.

Oh, to your question - go with deSalvo, I've been wanting one of those for years.

Terry,
You know I'm biased but I'll say it anyway...go with Hampsten's Ti Strada Bianca. If you ask the guys at Moots they'll tell you that the Mootour is a Moots badged version of Andy's SB. Steve is the best and you know the world needs another S&S coupled War Pig!

SPG

·
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats just it..

alienator said:
Get the DeSalvo, 'cuz I want to see one.
my local fav shop is a DeSalvo dealer, and I've seen mikes work up close. :eek: damn, mikes got talent abode. Jim Kish sent me some pics, crap he can weld too. But being in Caleaforneeiaay, I haven't seen Jims work up close. From the pics though Jim sent me of some raw ti welds, he's got the gift too. Jim teaches at UBI in Ashland, so they both know cross bikes. I was hoping for some owners of each to come forward.....

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
Moosedryvr said:
Terry,
You know I'm biased but I'll say it anyway...go with Hampsten's Ti Strada Bianca. If you ask the guys at Moots they'll tell you that the Mootour is a Moots badged version of Andy's SB. Steve is the best and you know the world needs another S&S coupled War Pig!

SPG
I started on the Hampsten site with the Strada Blanca, but since it's going to be a frame-only purchase, it really doesn't matter much where it comes from.

Well, aside from throwing the business at Hampsten. But, I have a pretty good working relationship with a guy here on RBR (sold me my Vamoots and my Parlee) so I'm going to go with loyalty in that direction.

In the end it boils only down to what label it has I reckon.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
my local fav shop is a DeSalvo dealer, and I've seen mikes work up close. :eek: damn, mikes got talent abode. Jim Kish sent me some pics, crap he can weld too. But being in Caleaforneeiaay, I haven't seen Jims work up close. From the pics though Jim sent me of some raw ti welds, he's got the gift too. Jim teaches at UBI in Ashland, so they both know cross bikes. I was hoping for some owners of each to come forward.....
Then go with what you know, the DeSalvo. Karma seems to be telling you that: you've seen his work up close; there's an LBS, your flavorite LBS, that deals 'em; and Alienator thinks you should do DeSalvo. That's the karmic trifecta.

As an example of goin' with what yer knowin'......I know I like black--black tires, black pumps w/ tall farck me heels on feet wrapped in black fishnet hose, Grace Jones--so I looked at my Reynolds wheels and thought, "Self, those would be even more lustworthy iffin' you peeled the decals off." So self did, and then self promptly soiled self's self. Plus, self saved 7g in the process.

You can expect similar results if you go with what you know.

·
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok now I know for sure....

alienator said:
Then go with what you know, the DeSalvo. Karma seems to be telling you that: you've seen his work up close; there's an LBS, your flavorite LBS, that deals 'em; and Alienator thinks you should do DeSalvo. That's the karmic trifecta.

As an example of goin' with what yer knowin'......I know I like black--black tires, black pumps w/ tall farck me heels on feet wrapped in black fishnet hose, Grace Jones--so I looked at my Reynolds wheels and thought, "Self, those would be even more lustworthy iffin' you peeled the decals off." So self did, and then self promptly soiled self's self. Plus, self saved 7g in the process.

You can expect similar results if you go with what you know.
that you got the Karma, I thought I was the only guy whom peals his wheel stickers off. ESPECIALLY on those Reynolds, OHHHH they look so guidt! Stealth Black with black tires. thats what I'm takin bout. I peeled the stickers off of me 03 Ksyriums and me DT Swiss RR1.1 rims too.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
that you got the Karma, I thought I was the only guy whom peals his wheel stickers off. ESPECIALLY on those Reynolds, OHHHH they look so guidt! Stealth Black with black tires. thats what I'm takin bout. I peeled the stickers off of me 03 Ksyriums and me DT Swiss RR1.1 rims too.
The only thing better than black is more black.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I also have a DeSalvo SS (the steel one on his website, that exact one) and it is amazing. He is wicked nice and also teaches wedling at United Bicycle Inst. If he is there teaching welding, it speaks loudly to his ability to understand and aswer questions about his work. Nothing against other builderts, but being a current owner of a DS, I would not go anywhere else.

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
Ok: here's the dilema, which one? DeSalvo is a few hundred cheaper and I have a very competent fav shop in Cyclepath to work with. Ti cross frame, I could get away with Mikes stock geo here. Jim Kish is a few hundred more, although it would be custom and I'd get to work with him direct. I'm really stumped on this one, as I'm a huge fan of both of these builders. Any help would be appreciated.:confused:
Hey PSV you talked me into it. I spoke with Moots yesterday and concluded that the Mootour might not be the ideal solution for my Asia bike. So, I ordered a Psychlo-X today. S&S couplers, rack eyelets, fender mounts.

What color headset this time? Pink again? Or Mango?

·
Banned
7,891 Posts
terry b said:
I started on the Hampsten site with the Strada Blanca, but since it's going to be a frame-only purchase, it really doesn't matter much where it comes from.

Well, aside from throwing the business at Hampsten. But, I have a pretty good working relationship with a guy here on RBR (sold me my Vamoots and my Parlee) so I'm going to go with loyalty in that direction.

In the end it boils only down to what label it has I reckon.
asia? what about the other bikes?? they will be taken to an orphanage? adopted by diff. families? you will leave some grease on a plate and just leave them in a locked barn??

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.