Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

I would:

• go flat out on the downhill (its a race, isn't it?)

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • go as fast as was safe (I like my skin in three layers and my bones in one piece)

Votes: 16 59.3%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did a 3/4 race on Saturday that finished with a hard, 1 mile climb followed by a 1/2 mile 45+ mph descent and another 1/4 mile slight uphill to the finish. I killed it up the climb, but the group pretty much stuck together into the downhill. My legs felt really good but I didn't want to mix it up going that fast on a downhill for a good sprint position. In the final quarter mile I was too far back to move up in the sprint. What would have you done? PS, there was decent money for the top ten.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Could you re-write that so it's clear? If you "killed it" why wern't you ahead of the group?

In most cases flat out on a descent is safe. When it's not, I will brake. It's better to be on my own on a descent, that way I can take the best line through corners without other racers getting in my way and I have better vision of the road. I will go a little faster and take a few more risks in races than in training but only so far- I am not exactly setting the world on fire, just racing for fun, and I have to go to work on monday.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ericm979 said:
Could you re-write that so it's clear? If you "killed it" why wern't you ahead of the group?

In most cases flat out on a descent is safe. When it's not, I will brake. It's better to be on my own on a descent, that way I can take the best line through corners without other racers getting in my way and I have better vision of the road. I will go a little faster and take a few more risks in races than in training but only so far- I am not exactly setting the world on fire, just racing for fun, and I have to go to work on monday.
Sorry, typo fixed

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
A lot will depend on your descending skills. If they are good...go flat out and hope you can get some separation or eat least move to the front of the pack for the final climb/sprint...otherwise it's over before you even get to the final hill/sprint.

If you have so-so descending skills go as fast as you are comfortable with and hope you can stay close enough for a shot at the final hill/sprint.

For me....it would be flat out on the descent because 1) I'm a very good descender and 2) I'd rather not have a bunch of guys around me on a fast descent that I don't know whether they can descend or not.....which means they could take me out at high speed!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
kbiker3111 said:
I did a 3/4 race on Saturday that finished with a hard, 1 mile climb followed by a 1/2 mile 45+ mph descent and another 1/4 mile slight uphill to the finish.
Sounds like you were racing the Giro de Jersey in Princeton, NJ. If so, that is a difficult finish to gauge. If you can't get a gap going up the climb, it is unlikely you will be able to do anything other than wait for the sprint.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
biknben said:
Sounds like you were racing the Giro de Jersey in Princeton, NJ. If so, that is a difficult finish to gauge. If you can't get a gap going up the climb, it is unlikely you will be able to do anything other than wait for the sprint.
Yeah that was it. It was a great race, I was just frustrated by the finish. I noticed the P/1/2/3 finished in a break. How did you approach it?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I like that type finish. On a similar course, I used an 11-tooth cog to make a jump right at the start of the descent and build during the whole ride down. Riding a descent with a bunch, not something I like. If you can get clear and you have the gears you can put distance on the pack and not worry about someone else's descending skills, just your own. Nothing is more scary than being on someone's wheel and have them brake hard mid-corner, or jerk aside unexpectedly for a rock or pothole.

Often, too, at the top of the penultimate climb, it's not too difficult to catch everyone with you napping and get a good jump. Descending is one place where one guy can outpace a bunch usually.
Don Hanson

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
If you're in the pack, stay close to the front and just stick with them for the decent. I fight for position no matter what the speed. Passing/going off the front at 45mph is difficult, at best. Add a 0.25mi uphill finish and there's no way you could have done it alone.

No way would I have dropped to the back, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.