Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everyone-

I'm a designer new to the road bike industry and I'm looking for a little insight into "seat bags"

What seat bag do you own? and how was your experience with it?

What's are some important features for your seat bag?

What would your dream seat bag be?

Thanks for your help. :)

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,798 Posts
My wish list:

1. Has a mounting bracket that attaches to the seat rails. Also comes with a couple of extra brackets, so you can transfer the seat bag when you have multiple bikes.

2. Have an separate section in the bag where you can stow a thin jacket/windbreaker

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
A fitting system (velcro or whatever) that actually FITS SNUG AGAINST THE BOTTOM OF THE SEAT. Seems like a no brainer, but I'm on my second wedge-style bag in 2 years and both required me to use zip ties to get the bag snug and eliminate the feeling of a dof tail wagging behind me.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
2 straps around the bottom, for attaching a windbreaker or other oversize object. The straps have to be long enough for sizeable objects,but be tightly out of the way when not in use (i.e., not dangling at all), and also be easily adjustable and have a quick release ability.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I the only saddle bag that I have used is a pedros bag that is nice a tiny.

Think about making it out of some strenchy fabric. That way the rider won't have stuff rattling around.

That said I gave up on saddle bags. I carry those things in the center jersy pocket.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Blackburn flite seatbag. They haven't made these for a long time, but they were the best. Most of the bag fit up above the seatrails so it made very efficient use of space. Wish I could find one of these now.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Mahatma Kane said:
Blackburn flite seatbag. They haven't made these for a long time, but they were the best. Most of the bag fit up above the seatrails so it made very efficient use of space. Wish I could find one of these now.
+1, that was the best seat bag ever. I still have one, but the zipper is busted. I can't find one small enough now that is completely concealed under my SLR saddle and not rub against the inside of my thighs and destroy my shorts.

I'm currently using a relatively small Timbuk2 bag, but is does not fit as close to the rails as the Blackburn.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Big enough to carry tube, patch kit, tire levers, multitool, chain tool, some extra chain links, CO2 cartridges and nozzle, fit a pair of gloves, cell phone, cleat covers, and a sandwich. Fit snuggly under the rails and not move around. Straps under to hold a jacket. Extra clips/mounting system to easily move it between bikes.

I think that covers mine. Most bags I find are either a little too small, or a little too big. Then no straps for attaching a jacket, and rarely do I find one that fits solidly under the seat.

·
Banned
976 Posts
I'm with you . . .

roadboy said:
Ive been cycling for a long time and y thought is if I cant fit it in my jersey pockets I dont need to carry it.
Been a long time roadie, and I've always go by fine with putting tools, tubes and such in my jersey. Seat bags IMO are retarded.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Leopold Porkstacker said:
WATERPROOF… so as to keep my spare tubes dry when riding in the wet.
that's what ziploc bags are for. protects against damage from the tools, too, and you can talc up the tube without a mess.

but waterproof isn't a bad idea

·
Registered
154 Posts
:cool: ...good suggestions....mine has a zippered opening on the inside, where I have enough room to slip my car key, house key & an adapter for my tire valve.:p

·
Registered
985 Posts
I would like a bag that was designed to carry 2 folded tubular tires and a couple of CO2 cartridges. It also should have 2 velcro straps to hold the bag up as well as one in the front around the seatpost.

·
Registered
491 Posts
QQUIKM3 said:
Been a long time roadie, and I've always go by fine with putting tools, tubes and such in my jersey. Seat bags IMO are retarded.
Its a looks thing to, nothing worse than a high dollar sweet looking road machine with a monster seat bag hanging off the back of the bike.
If your a euro pro you can still look sweet rocking a frame pump on your pinarello prince during a training ride, but you never see those guys with seat bags either.
I quess Im a fashion snob on the road bike, If Im going to train all winter, rock a bike worth more than my car, and put the hurt on my friends during our training rides, Im going to at leats look pro doing it.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Leopold Porkstacker said:
WATERPROOF… so as to keep my spare tubes dry when riding in the wet.
+10000000000000000000000

My god, I'm not complaining about tubes though, I'm complaining on about my phone the last time it rained out.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts