Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
I've got a MAC with the cinema display and a MacBook.

MB1
Drank ALL the kool-aid

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
If you want to use your computer anywhere besides your home office I would definitely look into a laptop over a desktop. I ended up with both only because I made the mistake of buying the desktop (although I like taking my stress out on games so the desktop is better for that).

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
depends what you're doing.

for 80% of the population, the new netbooks are really the way to go. I just bought a specced-to-the-hilt (32g solid-state drive, 2gb ram, $500) Dell Mini 9 as a travel computer / general web-browsing-checking-email machine. Quite happy with it.

If you're leaning laptop - if you're planning on 'lap-topping' it much (taking it to class, etc.) then spend the extra $$ to get something smaller and lighter. If it's just a desktop replacement that's obviously not as important.

As much as I like apple and their software, I still can't bring myself to pay their markup, esp. when what I'm buying is essentially disposable, and soon to be obsolete anyways.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
iphone.

Keep thinking about getting one of those netbooks but it's basically an iphone with keys.

I keep stupidly HOPING that someone makes a real keyboard for these things.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Argentius said:
Keep thinking about getting one of those netbooks but it's basically an iphone with keys.

I keep stupidly HOPING that someone makes a real keyboard for these things.
One option would be to use an external keyboard when you have the netbook at home and are doing a significant amount of typing.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,425 Posts
My computer doesn't move, so I have a desktop with a CRT monitor.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
bigchromewheelssuck said:
What do you use??? I'm thinking about going laptop. Prolly Macbook pro...
Think about your usage. If you have any intention of carrying it around, the answer is obvious. I hate using my laptop unless I really need to - like when traveling. I'd say 95% of my computing is done either on my desktop at home or with my work laptop plugged into a docking station, which may as well be a desktop. I find doing anything for a long period of time on a laptop to be very uncomfortable, at least in the size format that's easy to travel with.

In terms of configuration, the sky is the limit with a desktop, not so with a luggable.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
Both.

I only have a desktop at home, and a nice one at that. Having a desktop makes it easy to upgrade as time goes on, and I've always been able to get better performance out of a desktop.

For work I have a couple of laptops, and it is nice to have one to travel with to dump pictures on and such. I could do without easily though.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
I’ve had problems with every portable computer I’ve ever owned, so naturally, I am more of a desktop computer person. The problem is that I have eleven Macintosh computers, and they take up a bit of space.

·
.·*°¤`*·.·*´¤°*·.·*°¤`*·.
2,042 Posts
bigchromewheelssuck said:
What do you use??? I'm thinking about going laptop. Prolly Macbook pro...
I purchased mine off the Apple Refurbished page and I have had zero probs with it. Purchase the support plan you'll be all set! This lil gem has traveled with me across the country twice and I've even flat out dropped it twice - it's still pushin the dataz like a champ! I would never go back to a PC()sh!t.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The only reason I'd recommend a desktop these days is if you're doing alot of gaming with higher processing intensive games (like FPS games, etc), or some powerful graphics editing.

You can get a general purpose notebook for pretty cheap these days that can do pretty much anything you need it to.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
After buying my macbook I only use my desktop occasionally as a server or for photo editing. The missus and I are seriously considering selling the G5 imac and buying some network storage.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Laptop...you can do everything you need on a nicely configured laptop. The nice thing about a laptop is that you can really put it on your lap while on the couch watching Dances with the Stars...as I am doing right now....hehehehe...desktop locks you down too much. Gaming, get a PS3..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Unless you need the extra computing power I would go laptop.

The Macbook 13 inch upgraded to 4 GB RAM is great. Very portable but powerful enough for everything I do, including photoshop type applications. This is the first Mac I have owned and won't go back to a PC.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
A good alternative to either is an all-in-one like an iMac, etc, bought a Sony Vaio recently and love it...small footprint, only a few cables, easy to move around the house, and audio/video quality is good....even got Ubuntu Linux to dual boot with Vista on it with some difficulty (the photo is from the web FWIW...)

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
ukiahb said:
A good alternative to either is an all-in-one like an IMac, etc, bought a Sony Vaio recently and love it...small footprint, only a few cables, easy to move around the house, and audio/video quality is good....even got Ubuntu Linux to dual boot with Vista on it with some difficulty (the photo is from the web FWIW...)
Meh....those are glorified laptops. IMO, the whole point of a desktop is easy upgradeability, and the fact I can use the same box over and over with a standard ATX mobo. I've always thought that all-in-ones were more of a fashion statement. I'd get a laptop and external monitor, keyboard, and mouse instead.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
Meh....those are glorified laptops. IMO, the whole point of a desktop is easy upgradeability, and the fact I can use the same box over and over with a standard ATX mobo. I've always thought that all-in-ones were more of a fashion statement. I'd get a laptop and external monitor, keyboard, and mouse instead.
The simplicity and compact design is the greatest appeal for me and I have no need for upgrades. Have used a laptop with all of the above attached (plus speakers) and consider it a very messy arrangement...agree that all-in-ones basically are glorified laptops, but for home use it is a BIG improvement, used a laptop exclusively for several years prior to buying mine

1 - 20 of 48 Posts