Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With respect to training intensity:

For me I find doing 2x20 intervals above 90% or so of my max. output is counter productive-the additional recovery time required more than offsets the additional gains, and for me 85% seems to give a good balance-as is what most recommend.

With short intervals I find it similar-do too many for too long and the additional recovery time required more than offsets the additional gains...

My question is this: Is there any point in the training cycle where this type of 'destructive' training-training above 85-90% of max. power output for extended periods- is beneficial? Prior to a long layoff? To peak for a certain event?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
By Max: FTP.

Naturally proper training will increase FTP, but I find in training above 85%FTP I need way more recovery time than if I stick to 85% of FTP, thus I find training above 85% of FTP for extended periods to be detrimental-the additional recovery time required seems to more than offset the gains of training at more than 85%.

Example: I do approximately 20min runs on a long local climb. If I climb at about 85% of my FTP Im good to go next day or on very little rest. If I go all-out for a personal best on the climb, I need several days of recovery. The long term effects of training using these all-out efforts(as opposed to limiting myself to 85%) in my experience result in a reduction of performance.

Part of the reason Im asking is that I remember an article in which LeMond discussed how his pre tour training involved very severe efforts that were in his words 'destructive' abut a month prior to the tour, followed by a period of relative rest before coming into the tour slightly undertrained....

Is there any benefit to training above 85% FTP for extended periods? What role can it play in periodization or peaking for a specific event?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts