Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a) what detergent should I use, woolite, liquid hand soap, etc? should I soak it?
b) are nylon straps are hard to clean since they don't absorb soapy water like cotton?
c) do you scrub with a brush?

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Since the helmet rides on your head

steel515 said:
a) what detergent should I use, woolite, liquid hand soap, etc? should I soak it?
b) are nylon straps are hard to clean since they don't absorb soapy water like cotton?
Shampoo and a brush. you could remove the pads and soak them in the sink for a while and give a good rinse. Scrub the straps, hang to dry.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
steel515 said:
My method is as follows:

I fill up the kitchen sink with warm water and Ivory dish washing liquid. I dunk the helmet in the water a few times and rub the straps together. I drain the water from the sink and spray clear water all over the helmet and straps. Then I hang the helmet by the straps to dry. The helmet pads in Giro helmets (at least the Atmos and Pneumo) are held in by velcro and can be removed for washing. I usually leave them in place -- if you remove them a few times, they fall apart. When the helmet pads get too worn, I replace them -- you can get replacements from Giro or your LBS.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm sure this is against the helmet company's recommendations, but I view those recommendations like I do for my clothes: if I washed every shirt "with like colors" only, I'd have to do 52 loads of laundry! :)

After every ride, I spray the inside of the helmet with Lysol (straps, too). If you want something that is less harsh, try spraying very diluted bleach water (a 1:100 ration--about the same strength [or less] as pool water). Let is dry/air out overnight. I have extremely sensitive skin, and this has never bothered me.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
innergel said:
I wear my helmet and gloves into the post-ride shower with me. (sorry for that visual) I just use antibacterial soap and clean them both. That seems to do the trick. Gloves go in the wash with my bike stuff after a few shower cleanings to get the full washer treatment.
Me too. I don't actually "wear" them but I do take them in the shower w/ me to rinse away the sweat and grime. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
274 Posts
A friend recommended one method that I've adopted: after the ride, just fill a bucket with some water and dunk the helmet in it a few times, then leave it out to dry, preferably not in direct sunlight.

Regular water seems to work fine washing away all the salt sweat. Maybe I'm just not very fancy.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Bill Silverman said:
A friend recommended one method that I've adopted: after the ride, just fill a bucket with some water and dunk the helmet in it a few times, then leave it out to dry, preferably not in direct sunlight.

Regular water seems to work fine washing away all the salt sweat. Maybe I'm just not very fancy.
+1. Thats what I do, except I use the sink. Sometimes I float the helmet and let the straps soak a bit.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
When I get back from a ride I use the hose and rinse the sweat and road grime from the bike and then use that same hose to rinse my helmet, staps and all. Wipe down the bike and hang the helmet to dry.
And we're good to go!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.