Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone -

I was wondering what the safest, most effective products are for keeping whites whitest while being safe for colors too. I hand wash everything and hang dry and so far have only used a non-scented detergent "All free-clear". Something to take grease out also..

Thank you!!

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Oxyclean. I used to hand wash my bike clothes. Then I married a woman who rides a lot. Then we had kids. Now I just dump the whole pile in the washing machine every week. Works just fine.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I used to hand wash my stuff also & now I just dump everything into my high efficiency washing machine in normal mode using unscented hypo allergenic detergent. Works great but I do use a wash bag for my favorite jerseys & shorts. As for stains 2nd for oxyclean. For grease though I use Castrol automotive degreaser. Treat only the area where there is grease & then using my fingers I gently rub the soaked area until the grease is broken down & then rinse area with cold water until grease & degreaser is gone. Then toss in with rest in washing machine.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I do a separate load just for my cycling clothing. I do use the gentle cycle on my washing machine. I also put my nicer stuff in a wash bag. For detergent, I've been using whatever my wife buys. But recently, some of the clothing is starting to ....not let go of its smell. This stuff has a couple of seasons use. Maybe that is to be expected. I recently bought

Advanced Laundry Detergent - Free + Clear - HEX Performance

in hopes that it will get rid of the perma smell. After a few loads (3 or 4), the smell is still there.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Regardless of what detergent you use, be sure and use POWDER and not liquid.

Powdered detergents are more effective than their liquid counterparts because it's difficult to keep the cleaning agents effective once they're in liquid form.

I read that in Consumer Reports, I believe.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, thanks for all the replies. I just upgraded my washing machine to one of those hi-def 4k super delicate capable programmable type things. It would be nice to not have to hand wash anymore.. With these machines tho I don't have the option of not using liquid I think. Ok, cool. Thanks again.

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
I do a separate load just for my cycling clothing. I do use the gentle cycle on my washing machine. I also put my nicer stuff in a wash bag.
This ^

I never noticed a difference using Oxyclean in my laundry. I also don't use liquid fabric softener.

The BEST stain remover is Nordstrom's Delicate Wash Stain Remover. My wife buys it in the lingerie dept.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
I use liquid detergent "ALL" and or "ARM N HAMMER" both clear no color, no problems... cloths come out clean, no stains or funky smells... toss in the washing machine, wife won't let me throw in with all the other clothing... must be washed separately

1 - 13 of 13 Posts