Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Determining target weiight

3K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  nolight 
I have gotten down to 5"8" 142 pounds and at this point am still in the process of dialing in where I should be as a cyclist. Recent diet changes (Low glycemic, limiting alcohol) have enabled me to reduce bodyfat without affecting to a significant degree upper body strength. I have noticed, however, off the bike doing physical tasks I have less reserves. On the bike to this point every weight loss increment has resulted in vastly improved cycling performance. What factors would you recommend using in determining at what point to stop losing weight?
You're already down to a BMI of 21.6 so you are generally skinny but none of us know what you look like. You talk about upper body strength and that makes me wonder if maybe you aren't doing weights or something else to keep those muscles in place. If you look at professional bike racers they are very thin in the arms and torso. You can't get "really low" in weight without letting some muscles go - if you're a cyclist you need legs and core but not a lot else for road riding.

And like cda 455 I want to know what you did to make yourself shorter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.