Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Realized my eating was P#ss poor and recently made major dietary changes(finally seeing the conection between eating less and going faster), deleting the refined sugers,chocolate, most dairy,crackers, chips etc. Have begun eating alot more fiber; spinach, leafy greens, oatmeal, and an overall lower caloric intake. After two weeks of this i feel some differences, some unpleasant.

Kinda feel(like [email protected]) a little ill. a little sweaty and grumpy. a fresh sore throat. Feels like my body is trying to kick the refined poisons out. I had no idea of the withdrawls from empty calorie food. I will stay the course and cleanse my body.

Time to harden up and hammer i guess! Thanks in advance!

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Good on ya. Been there myself.

You're probably doing this but didn't mention it, so... LOTS of water. Filtered if you have one. Keep the pee "clear and copious."

If your energy level drops off, try to get some quality fat / protein before hitting the carbs. Fish / eggs work for me, but I'm also a fan of a good steak and some butter now n then.

If you're training hard, you do need carbs. I've been moving away from wheat products and subbing potato / rice, which seems to work fine.

· Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think part of the malaise is allergens(pollen). I'm not sure what changes i've made were wrong but i am open to comments or suggestions for improving. I believe that my new eating choices are much healthier for the long term.

Its the simple sugar cravings that are the hardest to deal with for me. I look forward to the total mastery of my eating. This may be something very basic for most of you, but it has been a stumbling block in my case.

Writing down affirmations helps, so does visualizing increased levels of performance. Making the correlation between eating less and getting faster is key for me!:thumbsup:

· disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Good on ya z rocks!:thumbsup: For the past four years or so I've been changing my diet much in the same way you have; I guess you could call me a health food snob/yuppy or whatever. It's gone very smoothly because I've done it in small steps. One of the first and hardest steps was giving up coke and other sugary beverages. I also avoid fast food like the plague; I used to enjoy it, but on the rare occasion I consume it now I don't care for it as I find it much too greasy, salty and downright bland. Consequently, I cook almost all of my meals at home and have found a new passion in cooking.

As for your sugar cravings, I can relate because I have a sweet tooth the size of elephant tusks. I satisfy it with plenty of fresh fruit every day and a small chunk of really dark chocolate in the evening after dinner.

Creaky's suggestion of high quality fats and protein prior to carbs is spot on and can also be had with a big handful of mixed nuts.

· Registered
73 Posts
Two thoughts on this based on my own experience, FWIW.
I tend to struggle to stay hydrated this time of year. I live in the south and often feel like I am going to bed a bit dehydrated, wake up feeling a little "hungover" and can struggle throughout the day to rehydrate, only to go out, train, and start the whole cycle over.
As someone else already mentioned, hydration is critical, can make a massive difference in how you feel and perform. I can really tell the difference when I push to ensure I go to bed well hydrated. (like waking up at 4 am feeling like I am going to p!ss myself)

Other thing I have noticed (and this ties into the hydration issues as well) is that I tend to feel a little sore throated and allergic more often this time of year. I attribute this to spending a lot of time in the dry, recycled air from air conditioning.

Anyhow, you may want to keep this in mind as possible contributors/magnifiers to what you are feeling. Good luck with it!

· Registered
21,864 Posts
Hydration measures

rab said:
I can really tell the difference when I push to ensure I go to bed well hydrated. (like waking up at 4 am feeling like I am going to p!ss myself)
Almost any endurance sport coach will tell you that unless you are getting up once per night to pee, then you are not properly hydrated. That certainly has been my experience as well. The other standard measures is that your urine should be light colored, and that you should have to pee every 2-3 hours during the day.

· Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have to drink tons of water to stay hydrated. I do physical outdoor work during the day and then train after work and weekends. Its a struggle to get enough agua.

Everything is going good. I'm feeling better from my changed eating regimen. MORE ENERGY. The cravings are lessening. I have turned into a produce dept. nut!

After a two day weekend of 150 miles i was feeling really weak so i went to the suchi bar and holy mackerel it was such a protien rush. I reccomend it.

· Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: Clothing getting a little looser. Stayed true to my commitment to stop the processed foods, processed grains, sugars(of almost all types), 95% of dairy. Basically a paleo/mediterranean eating. I plan to stick with it and never look back.....

I went out on the local club ride today and went faster than ever before, even dropped 'em on the climbs. Kind of a personal best day..... eating right DOES make a difference!:thumbsup:

· Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Also consider that he just may have a cold or a virus....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.