Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been getting a sharp pain in my left leg, at the back of my knee after rides this year. It feels like it is muscle pain at the very back of my knee. It does not feel at all linked to the knee itself. I went on a good ride today and now (9:42 pm) I am limping pretty badly. This year is the first time it has been a problem, and I have not changed any equipment at all. Any ideas?

·
Registered
35 Posts
From the sound of it, your left leg may be slightly shorter and/or less flexible.

You may need to lower saddle slightly to alleviate the strain on the tendons on the back of the left knee. Also be sure to stretch regularly and to avoid any hard efforts until the knee is healed.

If you developed tendonitis you may still feel it for quite a while, even after resolving the aggravating problem, as the recovery can be rather slow and gradual.

If the problem persists, after making these adjustments, take it easy and go see a doctor.

·
For president!
7,851 Posts
RoughRider said:
From the sound of it, your left leg may be slightly shorter and/or less flexible.

You may need to lower saddle slightly to alleviate the strain on the tendons on the back of the left knee. Also be sure to stretch regularly and to avoid any hard efforts until the knee is healed.

If you developed tendonitis you may still feel it for quite a while, even after resolving the aggravating problem, as the recovery can be rather slow and gradual.

If the problem persists, after making these adjustments, take it easy and go see a doctor.
In the meantime, ice and some anti-inflammitories should help as well.

I have a shorter leg, and I think my orthotics are getting a bit worn out, along with some loss of flexibility with reduced riding. I've been getting the same pain on some of my rides, but it goes away as soon as I'm off the bike.

You should think about orthotics or wedge type devices to correct the imbalance.

Silas

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SilasCL - I have orthotics also...and they are about 15 years old!! The cushion on the heel is rock hard and completely sacked out. Maybe it's time to get a new pair! Actually, the shop where I bought my bike also does orthotics so I have no excuse!

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
I just had the same thing happen and was expecting a long problem. After a couple of hours on this site searching "knee pain back saddle height" stuff I tried lowering my saddle 3-5 mm. Instant fix. I couldn't believe it. I knew I was a the high end of a normal range of height, but 3mm was all it took. Give it a try. Don't cost nothin'

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.