Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I guess I'm the first to post pics for this ride. Pretty bad since I had to get mine developed...

If you've got pics from the ride, feel free to add them here.

I didn't take that many, since everyone else had a point and shoot and mine wasn't exactly a quick camera to pull out for snapshots.

First, a sample of the pending spoke card for all participants...

Our first little stop was at Dave Cheakas' shop. A cool little place that's done a bike or two...

This place was the main reason I brought the camera along. Figured there would be some cool photo ops.

Yeah, I know this one appears to be a shot of random crotches... at the time it was supposed to be a pic of the great food Dave put out for us. A very nice and generous gesture I thought.

Then of course, Cletus in all his glory (albeit slow and sometimes agonizing glory)...

One of the few things I found on the ride that I could actually outpace:

Finally, an end of roll shot. Just to prove that I did make it back to Fort Worth. Just not with everyone else...

Was a great ride. However, from now on I'm bringing a fast bike. One that cruises at a snappy 10-12 mph really doesn't jive for a ride like this one.

Where are the rest of the pics?

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
I actually had a pretty good time.. I got to meet some new people and ride with some old friends...

Other than a group riding into fresh concrete and crashing.....one person doing the ride with a hole in her lip due to aformentioned crash.......one guy riding with flip flops because he forgot his shoes......Culdeus getting pushed over and wrecking his bike by an idiot passenger in a Suburban,......the group getting split up due to time contraints,...GScot, wife and I really strugging to finish,.....and Innergels truck getting broken into, ......it was a great time.....:blush2:

Here is my contribution....

·
i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
My contribution

Sorry no "on the road shots". I think we were too busy trying to keep upright and dodging disaster to take any. Here goes anyway.

As an aside, I had a great time. Even with all the problems. I'm very much looking forward to the next one. I hope we get 25 riders next time. It's a great day for sure.

Before leaving Dallas

Carol's battle scar

Bikes at Southwest Frameworks

Mrs GScot - that's her Salsa fixie above - FlynG in red

JeffN and crew on the train back to Dallas

Mandatory post ride leg shot of yours truly
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Someone has to tell the story about the wet concrete! How'd that happen? Looks painful.

·
i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
The Concrete Story

Ridgetop said:
Someone has to tell the story about the wet concrete! How'd that happen? Looks painful.
11 of us met in N. Dallas at a hotel parking lot to begin the ride. We rolled out around 815am under cloudy skies, heading for a train station about 6 blocks down the road. We arrived at the train station and realized we had 30 minutes until the train arrived so we decided to ride down to the next stop.

As we rolled down Greenville Ave, we came to an intersection and a green light. Across the intersection were some construction cones with an approx. 6' gap between. Four went right, four went left and three headed between.

A split second later I hear a colossal "OH SH!T!!!" quickly followed by crashing bike sounds 1, 2 and 3. I turned my head just in time to see an endo and faceplant by Carol, followed by two headfirst dives into 16" deep fresh concrete, hubs deep. They had just poured it and it was extra soupy. It was the exact same color as the surrounding road. The riders had concrete all over them. FlynG had it up to his elbows and knees. His shoes were covered too. So were all three bikes.

We scooped up the riders and bikes from the road after making sure they were semi-OK. Luckily we found a hose and were able to get the concrete cleaned off the bikes and riders before it set. Someone rushed out of a store with paper towels and water bottles and we cleaned up the riders as good as possible. Everyone was dazed and flabbergasted.

We managed to get everyone back on their bikes and made it to the next stop and boarded the train. We found a first aid kit when we arrived and got Carol patched up as best we could. She demanded to continue. What a stud.

Carol finished the ride and went to the hospital. They popped 5 stitches in. The cut was all the way through her lip.

The End

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
innergel said:
11 of us met in N. Dallas at a hotel parking lot to begin the ride. We rolled out around 815am under cloudy skies, heading for a train station about 6 blocks down the road. We arrived at the train station and realized we had 30 minutes until the train arrived so we decided to ride down to the next stop.

As we rolled down Greenville Ave, we came to an intersection and a green light. Across the intersection were some construction cones with an approx. 6' gap between. Four went right, four went left and three headed between.

A split second later I hear a colossal "OH SH!T!!!" quickly followed by crashing bike sounds 1, 2 and 3. I turned my head just in time to see an endo and faceplant by Carol, followed by two headfirst dives into 16" deep fresh concrete, hubs deep. They had just poured it and it was extra soupy. It was the exact same color as the surrounding road. The riders had concrete all over them. FlynG had it up to his elbows and knees. His shoes were covered too. So were all three bikes.

We scooped up the riders and bikes from the road after making sure they were semi-OK. Luckily we found a hose and were able to get the concrete cleaned off the bikes and riders before it set. Someone rushed out of a store with paper towels and water bottles and we cleaned up the riders as good as possible. Everyone was dazed and flabbergasted.

We managed to get everyone back on their bikes and made it to the next stop and boarded the train. We found a first aid kit when we arrived and got Carol patched up as best we could. She demanded to continue. What a stud.

Carol finished the ride and went to the hospital. They popped 5 stitches in. The cut was all the way through her lip.

The End
She was a stud!

I still feel bad that I didn't have my real first aid kit with me, just that little one. Heck, it was only a few more pounds. No real difference for that bike. I might not be able to throw in stitches as good as Presby, but at least I would have had a little Lidocaine for her lip.

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am working tomorrow. What time do you ride usually? Not that it matters tomorrow. Just for future reference so I can keep an eye out for you...

·
hold my beer n watch this
1,758 Posts

·
hold my beer n watch this
1,758 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.