Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2013 Defy for 6 months, riding 2-3 times a week. Today as I rode along the battery and holder parted company from the frame with a loud bang. When I took the battery out the 2 screws also fell out and that's when I noticed there was no 'thread lock' on the threads. The Bike shop is claiming that the part is fitted at the factory.

So if you are riding a Di2 perhaps you should check how secure the holder is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bike shop hasn't heard of it either and is going to mention it to Giant and Shimano. He also suggested to be careful putting any thread-locker on that may cause the thread to strip if I remove the bolt at a later time. Anyhow he's on the case :thumbsup:

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
Is there some kind of permanent damage or is there a connector you plug back in and screw it back to the frame? If no permanent damage then just put it back on the frame and move on. All Giant's likely to say is something generic like "one should always check bolts for tightness an do a visual inspection prior to each ride, etc." As for thread locker I don't think you need it. I never put it on water bottle cages and those are heavier and get far more in the way of forces (from the weight of the bottle and your repeated use of the bottle)

If there is something broken or need for wiring repair then never mind my comment and seek warranty on whatever needs fixing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I attached the holder and lightly snugged up the bolts by hand as suggested by the Bike shop and I went out an for a ride yesterday, everything worked fine. I'm taking the bike to get checked by the shop on Saturday. BTW,the shop say they use Loctite 222 and find that it's light strength is adequate for most applications.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.