Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used road bike with ultegra Di2. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the latest firmware. Do I need to just bite the bullet and buy the $200 PC connector kit or do I start calling LBS and see if one will do it? What is your experience?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Depends on whether there are dealers near you...
And how good you are with software a mechanics.
And how many times will you do updates and changes?

I bought because I like doing my own work. I have used it twice...
Probably not the best bang for the buck...but I have it when I want it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Called 3 LBS. All said Huh??? When I first asked. 2 of 3 checked and said they could do it. One free and one for 25-30. Think ill let the LBS do the first one and then see. Firmware updates seem to come faster in the beginning andnthen usually stop. Thanks much.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Around here I got the Huh? too. The shop said they would call Shimano in 3 days because they were so busy and then the mechanic said he didn't even know why anybody would want to reprogram the shifters. By now my gut was churning and I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Of course they never called me back.
I have the PC connector kit ordered and of course it's back ordered but at least I never have to deal with that bike shop again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the sm-pcE1 costs about $200. It just does the firmware update. The alternative is to buy this:
Shimano Di2 Internal Battery Charger SM-BCR2 for $130 and this:
Shimano Di2 Junction box A for $135
So those two together cost $265. The only reason one might do this is that these two items allow the firmware updates and allow the use of the new internal battery.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
So the sm-pcE1 costs about $200. It just does the firmware update. The alternative is to buy this:
So those two together cost $265. The only reason one might do this is that these two items allow the firmware updates and allow the use of the new internal battery.
The PCe1 allows firmware updates and also lets you reprogram the shifters.
You can change the function of buttons ( make the little button upshift and big button downshift) or enable the multishift function.
It will also allow you to run diagnostics.
How much of any of this you will use...or know how to use...is up to you.

I bought it because I like to do my own work. There was also only 2 shops north of Boston that had it at the time ( and I only trust 1 of them).

·
Registered
283 Posts
both do the updates but the pc e1 also does diagnostics

·
Registered
31 Posts
I called my Specialized dealer and asked how much to flash the di2 and turn on multi shift. I think they were offended when I burst out laughing when they told me $200. I told em I'd just save $30 and buy the SM-PCE1 off of Amazon for $170. Of course, they're also the ones who ripped me for a derailleur hanger for my Roubaix to the tune of $34 hich I later found out sold for $16. Now, I'll gladly drive 30 minutes farther to a competitor.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Just to be clear, here. There have been a number of firmware updates since the first version came out. The listing and descriptions are available on the Shimano E-tube site. In summary updates have been made for battery energy savings, addition of new devices such as the sprint and climbing buttons and the latest added the wireless di2 device that transmits gearing info to the PRO cycling computer. Here's a link to the site:

E-tube Project

·
Registered
15 Posts
SM-BCR2 vs SM-PCE1

One thing the SM-BCR2 doesn't do that the SM-PCE1 does do (apparently) is download firmware updates to the battery (odd as that sounds). Sadly the Etube software will use the SM-BCR2 will download firmware to the your entire system (except the battery) causing the SM-EW90 to stop recognizing the battery and disabling your system.
Someone needs a slap in the back of the head.

CarltonBale.com » Shimano Ultegra and Dura-Ace Di2 Electronic Shifting ? Everything You Need to Know

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
One thing the SM-BCR2 doesn't do that the SM-PCE1 does do (apparently) is download firmware updates to the battery (odd as that sounds). Sadly the Etube software will use the SM-BCR2 will download firmware to the your entire system (except the battery) causing the SM-EW90 to stop recognizing the battery and disabling your system.

CarltonBale.com » Shimano Ultegra and Dura-Ace Di2 Electronic Shifting ? Everything You Need to Know
you have your facts wrong. you should do some more current research.

·
Registered
71 Posts

This is the issue I was refer'n to in my previous post.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Yeah the Mac won't cut it .. I had issues using a Mac with parallels as well.. Didn't bother with boot camp.. Since I have pcs still .

If you are worried you can always update the battery first and by itself

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.