Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thoughts and experiences with electronic shifting for cyclocross racing?

I'm looking at an Ultegra-equipped bike, and wondered if Di2 matters one way or the other.

For the record, I've never even ridden a bike with electronic shifting.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I haven't done any cross racing but since I started riding a cross bike off road I've managed to mangle two rear derailleurs. I'm certainly glad the replacement cost was $80 and not $220 (retail Ultegra level prices). Granted I had a string of bad luck (and bad skill) in a short period of time but I'd have to think dinging things in cross is a strong probability.

Functionality wise I'm sure it would be fine. My only point is to consider replacement costs (and off course up front costs).

At least try it first though. Personally I don't like electronic shifting. It's a 'feel thing' not any critique of performance. It works great especially the front shifting (which you might not care about on a cross rig).

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have several friends who have been on it for a couple of years with no complaints, I almost bought my new cross bike with the Ultegra Di2 but got a better discount on a last years model with Mechanical Ultegra and went that route.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just installed a 1X Di2 system on my new Santa Cruz Stigmata. Ultegra Di2 Hydraulic Brakes with an XTR Di2 RD. Works great. Haven't crashed yet but I can tell you that 1X with a clutched RD, a la SRAM CX1, is absolutely awesome for CX. The build process was much easier due to not having to terminate cables, etc.

I like it so far but we'll see how I feel if I crash and f'up a $388 rear derailleur.

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
It's fantastic w/ one caveat- if it's a crazy-cold race and you wear very thick gloves, it is really hard to discern when you hit the proper shifter.
But man- it will spoil you! Shift whenever you want, even under load, very crisp, always trimmed...

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's fantastic w/ one caveat- if it's a crazy-cold race and you wear very thick gloves, it is really hard to discern when you hit the proper shifter.
But man- it will spoil you! Shift whenever you want, even under load, very crisp, always trimmed...
I have mine set up so both buttons on the right shift up the cassette and both left go down the cassette. If you go 1x this is a great way to address that issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have mine set up so both buttons on the right shift up the cassette and both left go down the cassette. If you go 1x this is a great way to address that issue.

Neat that you used both shifters as the controller, but that is somewhat backwards in regards to the actual shift logic and direction the RD goes when you shift.

The right shifter in my mind when shifted should go to the next higher (smaller cog) gear, since the chain is moving towards the right side of the bike/cassette. The left shifter would be for when moving to a lower gear (bigger cog) as the chain is moving to the left side of the bike/cassette.

That may be just how my simple mind works at least. I am still on a 2x setup on my road Di2 setup and due to pricing missed getting my new cross bike with Di2 Ultegra and instead went with the Ultegra mechanical instead.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate everyone's input. I ask because I located an older model cx bike on clearance with Di2, and wondered how it fares under duress. It does sound fantastic by most accounts.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Neat that you used both shifters as the controller, but that is somewhat backwards in regards to the actual shift logic and direction the RD goes when you shift.

The right shifter in my mind when shifted should go to the next higher (smaller cog) gear, since the chain is moving towards the right side of the bike/cassette. The left shifter would be for when moving to a lower gear (bigger cog) as the chain is moving to the left side of the bike/cassette.

That may be just how my simple mind works at least. I am still on a 2x setup on my road Di2 setup and due to pricing missed getting my new cross bike with Di2 Ultegra and instead went with the Ultegra mechanical instead.
Yeah someone else mentioned that too. I think of it as if I was physically pushing the chain one way or the other. That makes more sense to my brain but you're right on the shift logic. I just have never understood how a higher gear is harder and lower gear is easier because the chain on the cassette is opposite of that description and your cadence is higher with a larger cog in the rear.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
sounds like for the cost you could buy a pit bike

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yeah someone else mentioned that too. I think of it as if I was physically pushing the chain one way or the other. That makes more sense to my brain but you're right on the shift logic. I just have never understood how a higher gear is harder and lower gear is easier because the chain on the cassette is opposite of that description and your cadence is higher with a larger cog in the rear.

Bikeguys shifting method makes more sense in my head.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.