Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
I saw this earlier today. I wonder how both SRAM and Shimano will address the kind of brake deterioration problems we saw at nationals? I think news on that front will get the masses more excited about discs again. Absent it, I wonder if folks are starting to question the real benefit of having disc brakes in CX.

·
Registered
224 Posts
they must knwo that Sram are about to release theirs, so they are getting a hurry up on the release. Di2, gives a bit more room in the hood for the MC, so i can impagine (and based off the photo) that there won't be the bulkiness that the Sram's have.

TRP are soon to release the hyrd, which might allow the early adopoters to by pass both Shimano and Sram until the first kinks are worked out

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
w/out the mechanical internals in the shifter hood there is room for the resevoirs

will Niels and Sven ride them next year?

Kevin or Sven?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's weird that a few years ago on this forum....there were crap slinging over discs.
Oddly....most of the folks that were asking for them are no longer here ( and probably not even involved in the sport)
And 1 article by the bungling folks at VeloSnooze has turned people off.
I was a guy who didn't think you need them for racing....but they are coming...whether we want them or not.

·
Registered
210 Posts
but they are coming...whether we want them or not.
And in the end, you'll want them just like the entire MTB crowd was sceptical at first but embraced it later, when designs matured and cost lowered.

It's a classic case of cold feet. In 3 years time, most of the sceptics will admit they would not want to go back to canti brakes. Offcourse, a few folks will keep riding them, just like they will keep riding 8-speed.

The CX nats problems were BB7's, a design with a fixed frame side pad more than a decade old, mixed with the most disc unfriendly conditions you can imagine. It's also unfamiliarity with pad choice, wear rate and pad brake-in procedure. If you transfer current Shimano MTB brake tech to road / CX and hardheaded roadie-turned-CX riders/mechanics learn their setup lessons, there is hardly a drawback left. You'll have more pad-disc clearance than a BB7, self adjusting hydraulics and consistent one-finger braking for cross.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I think it's good that newer tech is finding it's way into cross. I would definately give discs a shot if I were just entering the sport but right now at my age (45) and with my budget I will continue to run cantis. My one CX frame is reasonably new and I have several sets of wheels so it would cost too much cash for me to change. For me the cantis I have (Paul Neo-Retro) work great but on a mountain bike discs are the way to go IMO.

Jeff

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I think it's good that newer tech is finding it's way into cross. I would definately give discs a shot if I were just entering the sport but right now at my age (45) and with my budget I will continue to run cantis. My one CX frame is reasonably new and I have several sets of wheels so it would cost too much cash for me to change. For me the cantis I have (Paul Neo-Retro) work great but on a mountain bike discs are the way to go IMO.

Jeff
I too won't be joining the revolution for similar reasons
and also I've never been in a race where I said to myself "I could use more braking"

·
Registered
210 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but to those discs get hot enough to scald someone when shouldering a bike?
Not a dumb question, but not in CX, no way. Discs heat up under enduring braking and there is none of that in CX. Besides that, the outside temperature is low most of the times, so they'll cool down in no time, if they ever heat up at all. I scored a burn mark on my calf on my MTB after a 3000ft descend, but that's very unlike CX.

·
Registered
902 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but to those discs get hot enough to scald someone when shouldering a bike?
I was going to say that course designers try to avoid forcing a dismount at the bottom of a fast descent but the masters and elite World Champ courses in Louisville both had short, fast descents for which conditions at the time of the races, forced a dismount/run-up. What I will say is that aside from maybe the Bpost Bank Trofee cross race on run over the Koppenberg in Belgium, cross courses typically don't have descents that are sufficiently long/fast enough to really heat up brake tracks/rotors.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.