Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an old Scott Tinley edition Raleigh Tri-Lite, and the hoods are in bad shape, and need to be replaced. I am having trouble finding the right ones online though.

They appear to be dia compe aero levers, but the hood itself does not cover the whole leaver body like all the ones I see available on the internet.

Do they have a specific name that I can search for, or does anyone have a part number?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I dont have a picture yet, as i am at work right now, but I did a pic of a bike on Flikr that has the same levers. Only the red part is what can be replaced. The black part is hard plastic, and part of the lever body.

·
Vintage cyclist
732 Posts
I remember those levers, but man, oh man! Those are going to be TOUGH to find. You may have to replace the whole lever. Those are one of the several Aero Gran Compe levers that Dia Compe made, and on the lower end... If you're looking to stay period correct and want DC levers, then there are quite a few on eBay.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
frpax said:
I remember those levers, but man, oh man! Those are going to be TOUGH to find. You may have to replace the whole lever. Those are one of the several Aero Gran Compe levers that Dia Compe made, and on the lower end... If you're looking to stay period correct and want DC levers, then there are quite a few on eBay.
Thanks for the reply. I will have to check with all of my LBS's to see if they have any old stock. The sad thing is I kinda like those levers. In fact I was having trouble finding a photo of the levers, and I remembered that my Schwinn Prelude has those levers too, and that is why I posted that link.

So now I have two sets of those levers that need the hoods replaced. Worst case, like you said, is just buy a different, more common set of DC levers.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
e39540is said:
Ooops, sorry I do not. Should I remove the link?
If you don't have permission, I'd say yes, you should.

Or you could ask him.

When I find people linking without permission, I just change the link to goatse. You are lucky he's not as devious as me.

·
Vintage cyclist
732 Posts
The "full rubber" hood type (that's sounds kinda weird, huh?) is quite a bit more common, but getting scarcer all the time.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
zmudshark said:
If you don't have permission, I'd say yes, you should.

Or you could ask him.

When I find people linking without permission, I just change the link to goatse. You are lucky he's not as devious as me.
I thought you were being weird about this, but the image is C all rights reserved so I guess the OP should have gotten permission before he used the image.

However, it is the internet. Copyright misuse and goatse are to be expected.

Like when CNN got goatsed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
zmudshark's postings are flyover territory, if you just posted the link for people to look at and not the picture, I'm not sure what the harm is. Consider the poster hostile with little to contribute to the conversation and probably seeking attention. If the flickr pictures were not meant to be accessed, then why put them up there.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
raleighgranprix said:
zmudshark's postings are flyover territory, if you just posted the link for people to look at and not the picture, I'm not sure what the harm is. Consider the poster hostile with little to contribute to the conversation and probably seeking attention. If the flickr pictures were not meant to be accessed, then why put them up there.
I guess we are from different generations.

I would certainly ask permission before I posted, or at the very least, give credit to the owner of the picture.

You've had quite the first month here, sport.

·
Registered
513 Posts
zmudshark said:
I guess we are from different generations.

I would certainly ask permission before I posted, or at the very least, give credit to the owner of the picture.

You've had quite the first month here, sport.
I've been here more than month, does that give me a better position to make an arguement, or are we going by seniority around here? Not a way to be neighborly to newcomers... :rolleyes: If the OP used someone else's photo for the purposes of personal gain, I would agree with you. However, he used it for purposes of discussion and was asking for help. Is it too much to ask that he be cut a little slack, or is it just for purposes of making someone feel not welcome? There are better ways to get your point across without being heavy handed about it. Now if he was using your friend's picture to make a buck, I'd feel differently. You are entiled to your OPINION, just as anyone else is on this forum, and it is just that, an opinion. As it were, the OP's post was educational, and I believe he should not be faulted for that. I am sure he (maybe others as well) will think twice about ever doing that again, and I think we are all the losers for it if so.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
He should have been clearer about where he got the photo. I was taken aback when I saw the link to my friend's flickr.

There are reference sites that you can search.

For someone to challenge my intentions, well he would get a frame pump in the spokes if I were riding with him.

It has nothing to do with making a person welcome, sorry if that's the way it came off.

I have had my photo's stolen, and I guess I'm a bit more sensitive.

If you want photos, go to Velobase and give them credit.

·
Vintage cyclist
732 Posts
Personally, I don't see the harm in posting the link... It's not like he hacked into a passworded site and posted a pic that was meant only for subscribers, for crying out loud. It's just flickr... semi public domain.

Much ado about nothing... :rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts