Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back someone posted a picture and info on wrapping your handlebars in a diamond weave pattern. Looked real cool with two different colors of tape. I did a search on this site, but came up empty handed, maybe the old achives did not transfer over to the new forum. Can anyone help me out with instructions on how to do this? Thanks, fred

·
Registered
777 Posts
fredstaple said:
A while back someone posted a picture and info on wrapping your handlebars in a diamond weave pattern. Looked real cool with two different colors of tape. I did a search on this site, but came up empty handed, maybe the old achives did not transfer over to the new forum. Can anyone help me out with instructions on how to do this? Thanks, fred
Try here:

http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/html/rr_handlebar.html

--Shannon

·
Registered
88 Posts
I did it a while back

I can't remember the exact details, but you start one color one way at an angle off the bar and then wrap the other in the reverse direction like you would normally start a wrapping. Then you basically weave them. It is a hard thing to put on paper and understand. Experimenting is the best way to learn. With enough experimenting you can get it... but it's not easy and takes a while. My suggestions are to find the "fake" tape which is not real cork. This streaches better and will not break. Tight is the key for this project.

You get great looking results when you do it right though.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Old post with pics and instructions...

Scot_Gore offered some step by step photos and instructions last year. Check this post: http://forums.consumerreview.com/[email protected]@.efc2ca4/12

It's probably the best instruction you will get without someone doing it in front of you. It's strangely hard to describe in text. As someone else said, one key is to use good tape and pull really tight. Take your time. The first time I did it it took me 1.5 hours. Doing it is frustrating. Getting it straight and tight is a true test of wrapping skills.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Pics and thoughts from a first-timer...

I just finished my first diamond bar wrap, using four rolls of Cateye cloth. The first side of the bar took about 2 hours, the second side about 1.5, including twine-wrapping the ends. After riding tommorrow, I'll be adding a few coats of clear shellac. I like the look and the feel of woven tape, and you just about never see it. I'll do my bars this way from here on, I think.

I know why you never see this wrap. It's at least 4 times harder than a single wrap. Even with thin, stretchy cloth tape that you can pull as tight as you want, it's slow going. You who have done it with cork, I salute you.

The brake levers are an amazing pain in the keister. I think I re-did the first one about 8 times, and at least 6 for the other side. The only hint for the levers is, don't try to do complete figure-8s, first with one color, then with the other. It seems like the easiest way, but it just doesn't seem to work. you have to maintain the tucking and weaving as you go around the brake lever, first with one color, then with the other.

The trick to getting the same diamonds above the brakes as below is to allow the colors to "switch." Using my bars as an example, I started with blue going under black, giving blue diamonds up the center of the bar. After the levers, you are now looking at the other side of the bar, so if you keep blue under black, you end up with black diamonds, just like you have if you look at your drops from the bottom. Actually, if you do the levers right, the "switch" happens naturally.

I finished up with a full turn of blue, on top of a half turn of black. If anyone can show me how to get rid of the solid bands at either end of the wrap, that would be cool. I just couldn't get the ends secure with angled turns. The tape wanted one round turn, so I gave it one.

Of course, no plastic tape will do to finish this job. Hemp twine, wrapped all the way over the solid blue band at the clamp end.

Here's the pic:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.