Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
It's amazing that anyone ever had a bike that fit them, if you believe all of the marketing BS about fitting. Here's a secret from a bike shop owner: bike fittings are a money-making load of crap created to make people think they need to spend money to get the right size of bike.

I'm 5'11" with a 29" inseam. I can ride a 52cm with a longer stem with no problem. I can ride a 54cm with no problem. I can ride a 56cm with no problem. Think about it... if you're in between a 54 and a 56, that's 2 cm. Take a look at how much 2 cm really is. Is that difference going to *really* be noticeable? Replace the 100mm stem with a 110mm and you've gained 10mm of that back without effecting the handling of the bike.

Believe me... general fit guides are usually good enough.
Gotta break with you on this one, Platy. Just because you're willing to live with the requisite compromises that come with varying frame size by up to 4cm 's (1/2 that being huge in terms of bike fit) doesn't make it good advice for others to follow.

I know from experience it would never work for me, because stem length adjustments alone don't fully correct for rider position/ front/ rear weight distribution, and that (IMO/E) is the single most important aspect to fit and handling. I've ridden bikes one size off (2cm's) and they never felt quite right.

I wouldn't suggest the OP (or noobs in general) opt for a pro fitting from the get-go, but (assuming a reputable shop/ fitter), the results of a standard LBS fitting are far better than someone sizing from a chart and fitting themselves.

OP: You're right to be concerned with fit, but I've previously posted options you could employ to better your odds of getting sizing (then fitting) right with the DB. Once you get to Baltimore, shop around and be upfront with the LBS's about your situation and budget. You might find a shop willing to work with you on this, especially if they see you as a prospective customer, albeit for the short term.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I did actually make some calls to a few shops that are a little farther from me...

A few of them have Raleigh bikes, any info on these? I tried looking on RBR for reviews as well as elsewhere and I couldn't find much, which makes me a little weary about considering them. Anyway, just from chatting on the phone the one fellow was willing to give me a pretty good deal on some of them(Ravenio 1/2).

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
I did actually make some calls to a few shops that are a little farther from me...

A few of them have Raleigh bikes, any info on these? I tried looking on RBR for reviews as well as elsewhere and I couldn't find much, which makes me a little weary about considering them. Anyway, just from chatting on the phone the one fellow was willing to give me a pretty good deal on some of them(Ravenio 1/2).
No worries, Raleigh are fine bikes and going this route will get you sizing/ fit assistance. If possible, take some time to check them out.

Taking a quick look at the specs, the Revenio 1 has a chromoly (steel) fork, 8 speed Shimano 2300 drivetrain and triple crankset, while the 2 has a Cf/ steel fork, 9 speed Sora drivetrain and a compact crankset.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Like I said in your other thread, I have a Raleigh Revenio 2. It hasn't disappointed me. In fact, after this morning's ride, I think I'm in love with this bike. :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Like I said in your other thread, I have a Raleigh Revenio 2. It hasn't disappointed me. In fact, after this morning's ride, I think I'm in love with this bike. :D
I'm glad to hear that! I wasn't originally going to make the trip to see this guy until after we got back from Baltimore, but I'm considering making it today just to check it out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So, I went up to this guys shop today. Unfortunately I didn't get to try out the Ravenio 2 because the only size he had it in was 56cm. However I did get to ride the 1, and to be completely honest(and this is probably my inexperience talking) I didn't see how the 2300 wasn't 'smooth'.

You have to understand, what I had in mind was my old(when I was like 8 years old) walmart mountain bike shifting. This is what I thought of when I was thinking of the 2300(not how it was done, obviously this bike has STI, but the unreliability of it).

While I'm in Baltimore I'm gonna try to ride some stuff with Tiagra/105 on it just so I have something to compare it to... If I went with a Raleigh though, I'd definitely go for the 2.0 not only because of the Sora components, but also the carbon fork.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
So, I went up to this guys shop today. Unfortunately I didn't get to try out the Ravenio 2 because the only size he had it in was 56cm. However I did get to ride the 1, and to be completely honest(and this is probably my inexperience talking) I didn't see how the 2300 wasn't 'smooth'.

You have to understand, what I had in mind was my old(when I was like 8 years old) walmart mountain bike shifting. This is what I thought of when I was thinking of the 2300(not how it was done, obviously this bike has STI, but the unreliability of it).

While I'm in Baltimore I'm gonna try to ride some stuff with Tiagra/105 on it just so I have something to compare it to... If I went with a Raleigh though, I'd definitely go for the 2.0 not only because of the Sora components, but also the carbon fork.
IMO/E there's no question that our cycling background/ experiences color our attitudes re: current offerings, so I'm not surprised that you were happy with the 2300's performance.

FWIW, the geometry on the Revenio 2.0 is the same as the 1.0, so fit and handling will be the same, but given the differences in specs, I agree that (budget allowing) it's worth a look.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The guy is giving me a stellar deal on either one, however I'm almost certain I'll go with the 2.0 not only because of the Sora, but mainly because of the carbon fork. He even gave me a good price on the 3.0 which has 105, but its still a good ways outside my budget.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
The guy is giving me a stellar deal on either one, however I'm almost certain I'll go with the 2.0 not only because of the Sora, but mainly because of the carbon fork. He even gave me a good price on the 3.0 which has 105, but its still a good ways outside my budget.
IMO, as long as it fits well and you like the ride/ handling, I think the 2.0 is a good compromise for you and see no reason to stray from your budget. Use this bike to build fitness, give yourself some time to sort out your likes/ dislikes with an eye towards the future and that 'next bike'.

And don't let anyone tell you different. Stick with this and there will be a 'next' bike. :yesnod:

EDIT: Just as a FYI, if you're considering upgrading to the 2.0 primarily because of the fork, you may want to know that both models use a chromoly (steel) steerer tube, but the 2.0 upgrades to CF blades. The result might be slightly lower weight, but you may never feel the difference out on the road.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My first bike even with Tiagra shifted superbly as long as I kept it in tune. The only difference I notice with the Ultegra I have now is that is shifts crisper under power, which is something you only need if your racing(or have plenty of money).

I just recently got a professional fitting for the first time in 4 years of riding and at $100 it was money that couldn't have been spent better anywhere on my bike. Anyone who tells you it won't make a difference is sadly mistaken, I wasn't much faster afterwards but I sure as hell felt good doing it. It also keeps you from buying 4 different stems to see which one you like better...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Yeah I wouldn't mind having something higher end but unless I catch someone asleep I doubt its gonna happen. I'm in the Baltimore area now so hopefully I can check out some of these shops in the next few days

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought this bike, I love it

Yes you can.

And both of those bikes are lower-end than the Podium 2.

Maybe you don't mean to, but you do. This is some of the most judgmental, elitist crap I've read on the board in a long time.
I totally agree, I actually just bought this exact bike for the same price. I'm a newbie rider, and new to the forum, so not sure how much weight my opinion carries. But I absolutlely love this bike. Bought it through fatwallet, so got another 4% off too. I am pretty mechanical, so I was not worried about setting it up, or tuning and fitting it. I couldn't buy a bike of this caliber with full tiagra for much less than $1000 around here. So I say buy the bike, and use the extra cash for a better seat, shoes, pedals, shorts, or whatever. That's what I did, and I don't regret a thing.

I've owned the bike since March 15, and have put almost 200 miles on it already, had one flat, but otherwise it has worked flawless.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Im still slightly considering the diamondback however im really enjoying riding different bikes. I got to take a fuji robeaux 3 out for a mile today. Mental note: just beacuse i ran before doesnt mean im in cycling shape.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm going to likely buying the Podium 2 from Jamis, LBS in Corona for $599.00 If you look at the bike, regardless of price it's a nice enthusiast bike! He'll, my brother rode a $350.00 bike across country 20 years ago with what was at the time an entry level road bike! The Podium 2 stacks up against bikes in the $900.00 to $1,200 price range. My opinion is this is a $1,000 bike for $599.00 bucks! Really you can't go wrong with this bike, as if one hates it they can sell it, and take less of a bath than if one were to buy a 2012 carbon bike! Many people are happy with this kind of bike, and it can deliver years of enjoyment. If a bike is reliable and relatively comfortable it's a good choice. One can always upgrade if needed! A good wine is a wine you enjoy regardless of price! A good bike is falls into the same realm if you ask me. I'm a great tennis player, and I can enjoy the game with an old wood tennis racket! I think I made my point!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm going to likely buying the Podium 2 from Jamis, LBS in Corona for $599.00 If you look at the bike, regardless of price it's a nice enthusiast bike! He'll, my brother rode a $350.00 bike across country 20 years ago with what was at the time an entry level road bike! The Podium 2 stacks up against bikes in the $900.00 to $1,200 price range. My opinion is this is a $1,000 bike for $599.00 bucks! Really you can't go wrong with this bike, as if one hates it they can sell it, and take less of a bath than if one were to buy a 2012 carbon bike! Many people are happy with this kind of bike, and it can deliver years of enjoyment. If a bike is reliable and relatively comfortable it's a good choice. One can always upgrade if needed! A good wine is a wine you enjoy regardless of price! A good bike is falls into the same realm if you ask me. I'm a great tennis player, and I can enjoy the game with an old wood tennis racket! I think I made my point!
I agree 100%, the only thing I didn't like about the bike was the seat. I replaced mine with a Fizik, and have never looked back. Buy it, you won't be disappointed. And if you want to upgrade in a couple years, you'll be able to sell it for almost as much as you have invested.

·
Registered
235 Posts
My first bike was a 2010 Podium One. It was nothing to write home about, but it was equally a perfectly usable bike. I never had any problems with the shifting. It was "heavy" by today's standards, but it was that much over 22lbs, which is not bad at the price.

21 - 40 of 91 Posts