Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Hottody, I did a lot of research, and was recommended the fizik arione by JensonUSA, and another shop, but I weigh a little more than average at 195the lbs, so I found a good deal on the alliante, and figured id give it a try. I thinkcan its geareda towards bigger riders. I may have gotten lucky, but the seat fits me well, and is a huge improvement over the stock seat. I can ride 30 miles and barely think about it. The Fizik actually flexes like a saddle should, not stiff as a board like the stock one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thank you Southpaw57! I should be getting my Diamondback Podium 2 this weekend from Jenson! Thank you for the great tip, I two am about 6'2 230 lbs. Nice to know about the seat. Thank you!!!!

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
Yes you can.

And both of those bikes are lower-end than the Podium 2.

Maybe you don't mean to, but you do. This is some of the most judgmental, elitist crap I've read on the board in a long time.
Platy nailed it. Self important folks who don't think you can ride on a budget are generally out of touch. Whether Sora or Tiagra, it's all over the road with many happy pedalers, can be bombproof with even basic care, and can get those first 2-3 seasons under your belt while still retaining some resale value. The reminders on fit are good.

·
Registered
65 Posts
JayTee...I must say that you make a really valid argument. I'm looking at getting into road biking, but the last year has been difficult from a finical standpoint. That being said, I pride myself on making educated / informed decisions. I drive a 2003 Saab, but it looks good and it's paid for! my wife drives a 2002, reliable, clean, functional car, but it's paid for. I'm 46 years old and have downsized my home from a 3,800 sq foot home in a gated community to a smaller much less expensive home! On the surface, it does not look so good, but my new smaller home in a perfectly good neiborhood was paid for cash!

Now, I have been researching road bikes and feel that I have a good understanding of my dream bike and more practical solutions. The Diamondback Podium with Tiagra at $599.00 is a great bargain and a bike that should work just fine! My point is really that one can enjoy nice things without spending top dallar to have the best! Now, that being said, if I really felt I wanted, needed a higher end bike and was within my budget, I would have no hesitation buying it! But truth be told, I feel the Diamondback Podium 2 will be a very nice, capable first road bike that works for my conservative budget. Also...the bike will be paid for, and I will not be financing another toy that sometimes merely adds unessarry debt and stress to ones life.

·
Banned
444 Posts
Just thought I'd chime-in here, as I'm also a noob who is a "budget cyclist"!

Bought my bike online (after using a good online fitment calculator)....it fits like a glove....wasn't crazy about the Sora shifters at first- but I was new to STI- now that I'm used to them, and give a little attention to keeping the front derailleur in good adjustment, -they're fine. I'm now riding 50 miles a week on very hilly terrain...and have less than $600 invested in the bike and all accessories!

.....and I'm having a ball- zero complaints! I look forward to getting out there on the road 4 or 5 times a week!

And I don't mean to discount what some other very experienced forum members say...but ya have to remember that most LBS's/salesmen's primary objective is to make money/move what they already have in stock, etc. Unless you know otherwise, you can't trust them for good advice.....(Many won't even give you a competent fitting!).....so coming here is the best source of advice- even when there are conflicting opinions, you can ferret-out what will work best for you.

That Diamondback sounds like a good deal in my book!

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Just thought I'd chime-in here, as I'm also a noob who is a "budget cyclist"!

Bought my bike online (after using a good online fitment calculator)....it fits like a glove....wasn't crazy about the Sora shifters at first- but I was new to STI- now that I'm used to them, and give a little attention to keeping the front derailleur in good adjustment, -they're fine. I'm now riding 50 miles a week on very hilly terrain...and have less than $600 invested in the bike and all accessories!

.....and I'm having a ball- zero complaints! I look forward to getting out there on the road 4 or 5 times a week!

And I don't mean to discount what some other very experienced forum members say...but ya have to remember that most LBS's/salesmen's primary objective is to make money/move what they already have in stock, etc. Unless you know otherwise, you can't trust them for good advice.....(Many won't even give you a competent fitting!).....so coming here is the best source of advice- even when there are conflicting opinions, you can ferret-out what will work best for you.

That Diamondback sounds like a good deal in my book!
For balance, I'll offer my thoughts/ experiences on the bold statements.

Re: 'good' online fit calculators, IMO that's an oxymoron. The best they'll do is provide the user with a range of fit parameters based only on values inputted. No allowance for a riders fitness level, flexibility, anatomical issues, cycling experiences (among other relevant factors). IME, a knowledgeable fitter can do better working one on one with a rider for ~20 minutes, because they'll see the rider on the bike, in both static and dynamic positions.

Re: the fits like a glove comment, I'd ask what you're using as a baseline for comparison. What similar bikes have you ridden in your adult life. If none, and the bike fits and feels good to ride, that's fine, but at least qualify your remarks to avoid misleading anyone. Also, others experiences may not mirror yours, and they'll need to tap their LBS for support (at an added cost), which offsets the online 'savings'.

Re: shops motive to make money and move stock, that's a given. But that doesn't mean that most don't do right by their customers. IME, most do, because they can sell 'that other bike' to another customer who's better suited to it. So yes, most can be trusted to provide good advice.

Re: a shops ability to size/ fit riders, for certain, that varies. But as you say, this (and similar) forums can help guide a noob to the better shops. And FWIW, most are far better than the assistance you'll get from online retailers, who (coincidentally) also want to make money and move stock.

·
Banned
444 Posts
Re: 'good' online fit calculators, IMO that's an oxymoron. The best they'll do is provide the user with a range of fit parameters based only on values inputted. No allowance for a riders fitness level, flexibility, anatomical issues, cycling experiences (among other relevant factors). IME, a knowledgeable fitter can do better working one on one with a rider for ~20 minutes, because they'll see the rider on the bike, in both static and dynamic positions. .
Good point. But that assumes that the shop one is dealing with is quite competent. I've been in shops where they determine one's bike size by inseam/standover height.... [Didn't know any better at the time, myself...but for some reason that always stuck in my memory].

Re: the fits like a glove comment, I'd ask what you're using as a baseline for comparison. What similar bikes have you ridden in your adult life. If none, and the bike fits and feels good to ride, that's fine, but at least qualify your remarks to avoid misleading anyone. Also, others experiences may not mirror yours, and they'll need to tap their LBS for support (at an added cost), which offsets the online 'savings'..
Also a good point. I'm just going by the fract that a)I'm very comfortable; and b)I have no pain or other issues. The reach on my bike is a bit more than optimal, IMO- but it doesn't seem to be detrimental in any way....and had I gotten the next smallest size (4cm's smaller) the bike would be too small; If I go with a significantly shorter stem....it would likely severely affect the handling of the bike. My point being: You can't always have "perfection" anyways...nor do most non-pro riders need perfection. I believe if you get a bike that's "in the ballpark", fit-wise, you can make any necessary tweaks and adjustments that are needed, and be just fine. Maybe not if you're doing the Tour De France....but for the Tour De Neighborhood.....

Re: shops motive to make money and move stock, that's a given. But that doesn't mean that most don't do right by their customers. IME, most do, because they can sell 'that other bike' to another customer who's better suited to it. So yes, most can be trusted to provide good advice..
It depends. Some are incompetent (I'd imagine the pool of experienced, knowledgeable potential employees is quite small in that field...and that many shops just have to hire non-bike people off the street...); Some just don't care; some just want to make a sale...any sale...and then of course, there are good ones- but a noob really has no way of knowing who's who.

Re: a shops ability to size/ fit riders, for certain, that varies. But as you say, this (and similar) forums can help guide a noob to the better shops. And FWIW, most are far better than the assistance you'll get from online retailers, who (coincidentally) also want to make money and move stock.
What assistance from online retailers? I think it's pretty much a given, that online is a do-it-yourself propasition. Make people aware of the option- some will naturally want the service that an LBS offers...while some of us are do-it-yourselfers by nature, or don't even have an LBS within a reasonable distance (I fall into both of those categories).

I think we can both agree that online purchases can work successfully for a good percentage of people...and that some would do better with the assistance of a good LBS.

Sure...if we buy online, we can't test-ride....but that is mitigated by the fact that if we are a noob, we will likely be happy with anything that isn't too radical, and will pretty much acclimate to whatever we get and be happy with it...and if an experienced cyclist, then we will likely knoiw what to expect from certain geometry/frame material/components, eh?

I'm not trying to discount what you say- as I'm the one who comes to you for advice, and have learned a LOT from your posts....it's just that there are options that do work for a lot of people- so the way I see it, I'd like to present people with the facts, and then let them choose the course of action that they are comfortable with.

The things you say are certainly valid- but you also have consider some of us would never have gotten into cycling if we were forced to go the LBS route- I mean, if I had had to do that, I wouldn't have been able to get a decent bike and accessories for much under $1000- and I wasn't willing to spend that much, not knowing if I'd like riding as an adult, or if it was even viable on the roads where I live.

And when it's time to upgrade, I want as much bike as I can get for the money. I could go to an LBS and still be stuck in the entry-level category...or I could buy online and get the twice the bike for the same money.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry to hijack, but why does everyone say you need all this gear as NJ said? Helmet, shorts, gloves, preferably a jersey or two. Saddlebag, spare tube, CO2 inflator, bike tool?

Im not new to bikes,(tho new to road bike) ive been in BMX since about 2000, and since then have put a probably an unhealthy amount of miles on a bike with basicly no seat wile rideing from spot to spot but I have never had any of that gear on a ride. I understand that a road bike has a lot less tire and punctures may happen more, but why do you NEED a Helmet, shorts, gloves, jersey or two. saddlebag and so forth?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Xj bmx, I suppose you do not "need" all the gear, although a helmet is required by law here in California, and I believe makes good sense! As far as shorts, a good pair with padding makes for a much for comfortable ride! The Spare tube and inflator / pump is not required, but highly recommended, because one will eventually get a flat, ( it's only a matter of time) and it's simply a smart thing to have! The Jersey of course it not needed but something that might just help put one into the cycling mood! My advise is buy what you can afford and accessorize as desired!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Xj bmx, I suppose you do not "need" all the gear, although a helmet is required by law here in California, and I believe makes good sense! As far as shorts, a good pair with padding makes for a much for comfortable ride! The Spare tube and inflator / pump is not required, but highly recommended, because one will eventually get a flat, ( it's only a matter of time) and it's simply a smart thing to have! The Jersey of course it not needed but something that might just help put one into the cycling mood! My advise is buy what you can afford and accessorize as desired!
That sounds alot better than, the way Ive been reading it around here. Like I said, I understand a pump and tire patch kit since the distance from your house/car is alot further than it is on my bmx, and I sure know it happens, Ive blow many tires, (tho usually from landing short from a stair set gap, or not hopping high enough juping on top of somthing) but the rest that Ive been reading seems not so nessary as alot of people make it seem around here.

The padded shorts sounds like a good deal tho haha.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi JeffReigns, I have been reading your posts and I have got to tell you the Diamondback Podium 2 at $599.00 from Jenson is the best deal going! The Tiagra components, hydro formed aluminum frame, carbon fork makes for a really nice bike! You mentioned you were considering buying on-line, I believe from Jenson. Since I live in southern Ca, I went to their store yesterday and took it for a ride and uncovered some good information. First, the bike comes with pedals that you can clip into, or turn over and ride with tennis shoes. This will save you another $50 bucks. Also Jenson said that when they ship their bikes they are required to do a professional build before sending out to their customers. They then break it down and ship it, but you should feel good about the bike you are receiving. I believe if you go off the Diamondback sizing chart you will be just fine. You can make adjustments as needed to fine tune the bike! Heck, at $599.00 for the quality of this bike you can not go wrong! Let me preface by saying that I too believe taking for a test ride to check approximate fit is probably the ideal way. But given your budget, I see nothing wrong with ordering online and dialing your bike in with a professional fit when your budget allows!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm telling you, the bike looks Amazing in person. The Hydroformed frame and clean welds give the illusion of a carbon bike at first glance! Normally... one does not see these kinds of discounts on bikes retailing for around $1,000. Discounts of this magnitude are usually are reserved for last years carbon and higher:) end bikes!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm telling you, the bike looks Amazing in person. The Hydroformed frame and clean welds give the illusion of a carbon bike at first glance! Normally... one does not see these kinds of discounts on bikes retailing for around $1,000. Discounts of this magnitude are usually are reserved for last years carbon and higher:) end bikes!
I was offered $750 for 12' Podium 3. I did saw Nashbar had same bike for around $800 for a while. In history, Podium 2 and 3 were discounted very often. I did not ride on either of them but am doubt about their resell value.

·
9,790 Posts
I was offered $750 for 12' Podium 3. I did saw Nashbar had same bike for around $800 for a while. In history, Podium 2 and 3 were discounted very often. I did not ride on either of them but am doubt about their resell value.
If you buy a bike based on its resell value, then you're doing it wrong.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Wow! This thread is still going on, I'm surprised!

I disappeared for awhile, but thats what moving 3000 miles across country will do to you ;)

I was going to go with the Raleigh... but after I sat down and compared the components and the prices(625 for the Revenio 2 with Sora vs. 599 for Podium 2 with Tiagra and most identical/better components) I went for the Podium. I have to say that so far, its been pretty awesome. Before I ordered I did end up taking the measurements from the other bikes that I tried and compared it and it was close to two that I tried and liked.

I would have more to say but I've only put a few miles on it so far... I'm a little scared to ride too far from home because all I have right now is a helmet! I still need to grab up a patch kit, water bottles, shoes and jerseys/shorts. Also sunglasses.

What it all came down to for me was this(and what everyone on here told me) - its a FIRST bike. I'm going to want something better eventually, no matter where I buy the bike... at least this way I got a little more bike for my money.

·
Banned
444 Posts
Wow! This thread is still going on, I'm surprised!

I disappeared for awhile, but thats what moving 3000 miles across country will do to you ;)

I was going to go with the Raleigh... but after I sat down and compared the components and the prices(625 for the Revenio 2 with Sora vs. 599 for Podium 2 with Tiagra and most identical/better components) I went for the Podium. I have to say that so far, its been pretty awesome. Before I ordered I did end up taking the measurements from the other bikes that I tried and compared it and it was close to two that I tried and liked.

I would have more to say but I've only put a few miles on it so far... I'm a little scared to ride too far from home because all I have right now is a helmet! I still need to grab up a patch kit, water bottles, shoes and jerseys/shorts. Also sunglasses.

What it all came down to for me was this(and what everyone on here told me) - its a FIRST bike. I'm going to want something better eventually, no matter where I buy the bike... at least this way I got a little more bike for my money.
THAT's the way to do it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey, I'm a brand new rider as well, I bought a Podium 2 for about $600 about two months ago as my first ever road bike (I had been commuting on a $150 hardtail mt bike) and I absolutely love the bike and the sport in general. I bought it mostly because of the price, I knew I wanted "paddle shifters" and a carbon fork and have now learned some of the ins and outs of Sora<Tiagra<105<Ultegra<Dura-Ace and other components. I would have to agree that the accessories are important considerations, I started with a little seat bag, the tool that came to assemble the bike, a patch kit, tire levers, and an extra tube (not that I knew how to change a flat, but I figured I could at least flag someone down who could help me). Recently I bought padded shorts (Pearl Izumi Selects- their entry level shorts) and a CO2 inflator. The shorts make a huge difference!! Now my balls don't fall asleep on long climbs.

I work in an exercise physiology lab, so several co-workers have helped me out with fit and advice. One thing that I learned is my seat had to come up about 2.5 inches! It felt waay too high at first, but then you get used to it. Basically go higher than you think, and see if you can find a friend who knows something about hikes.

I have no idea how many miles I've ridden so far, but it's probably in the 200-400mi range. I haven't cleaned or re-lubed the chain at all, and it's starting to get a little grime-y. My co-worker told me I should degrease and re-lube the chain about once a week.

Since I'm on a pretty tight budget as well, my plan for buying more stuff is as follows: I just ordered a $20 bike computer with cadence from nashbar.com (Cannondale something-or-other), then when I get paid next I'll get some hybrid commuter/SPD pedals online. The pedals I'm looking at are flat on one side and have SPD things on the other, since I commute a lot and don't want to have to put bike shoes on if I'm just going to the grocery store. Then I'll buy shoes next (probably at a real store so I can try them on first). Eventually I'll get another pair of padded shorts, and a jersey, and I might get rid of the CO2 inflator in favor of a small hand pump that I can mount to the frame.

Also, a different co-worker gave me some sweet race tires because he broke his femur and they are really slick and fast. And I got some tips as to how to replace a tube and tires, which I highly recommend learning at home so you don't get stranded.

So far one of the best pieces of advice I've picked up from this forum was not to sweat ultra high end components at first, its better value and much easier to lose 5lbs than to spend a ton of money on something that saves you 500 grams.

Also, smile all the time when you ride :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank you Southpaw57! I should be getting my Diamondback Podium 2 this weekend from Jenson! Thank you for the great tip, I two am about 6'2 230 lbs. Nice to know about the seat. Thank you!!!!
Hey! What size frame did you get? 58 cm? 60 cm?

I have about the same physical size as you and was wondering what size you got and whether it works well. I have been able to comfortably ride on 58s and 60s and was just curious to hear your thoughts/experiences. I should be able to stop by Jenson's this weekend to see how it is in person..

thanks!

41 - 60 of 91 Posts