Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
After going back and forth between the 2011 podium 2 for $600 or the 2012 podium 3 for $900, I opted for the former. The only problem is that the biggest size available in the 2011 model at this time is 58cm and being 6'3", that is slightly small. However, I think I could swap out the stem for a larger one and make up for the difference.

One of the employees at Jenson's told me that people do that all the time so I am not too worried about it. Luckily, there is a carbon fiber Easton stem from a few years ago that is selling for $30 or so dollars (with a $200 msrp!!) so that should be a good upgrade :)

The only thing is that I will probably end up buying it from Sportchalet, unless any of you have any good reasons for me to avoid a big box store like that. The only reason I opted for them is because I can get a 2 year service warranty for $40 which gives me four free tuneups and extends all the manufacturer warranties by 2 years... Seems like a good idea!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Diamondback bikes

We have a new bike shop in Newton, Iowa that sells Diamondback bikes and took one for a 20 miles test ride and really liked it. I can't remember the exact model but it was a $1200.00 bike msrp and the shop owner said he would sell it to me for $950.00 I was interested in the bike but another store which sells trek had a deal going for new buys that allowed 12 months no interest with minimum monthly payments so..... money is the bottom line and I went with the 2011 Giant TCR Advanced. A big step up from the Diamondback AND the the no interest. I really wanted to keep the purchase local but... :)

·
Banned
444 Posts
We have a new bike shop in Newton, Iowa that sells Diamondback bikes and took one for a 20 miles test ride and really liked it. I can't remember the exact model but it was a $1200.00 bike msrp and the shop owner said he would sell it to me for $950.00 I was interested in the bike but another store which sells trek had a deal going for new buys that allowed 12 months no interest with minimum monthly payments so..... money is the bottom line and I went with the 2011 Giant TCR Advanced. A big step up from the Diamondback AND the the no interest. I really wanted to keep the purchase local but... :)
You financed a BICYCLE? :shocked::yikes::eek6::frown2:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Podium 3

I think you are absolutely correct in going with the bike that fits you well and the Podium 3 with Shimano 105 is AWSOME! This is all most amiture riders will ever need! As far as buying from the Big Box guys, I say go for it if this is the bike you want.

Good luck, you are buying a fantastic bike with a really solid, good looking frame! Add the 105 components to the mix and you are getting A GREAT DEAL! Congratulations, and let me know if you need or want anymore feedback!

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
You financed a BICYCLE? :shocked::yikes::eek6::frown2:
When I look back on both the physical and mental benefits cycling has made on my life, I can honestly say I wouldn't hesitate to take out a loan to buy a bike if need be.

As always, YMMV.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That's cool, I would love to hear how and why you got into biking PJ352. What bike you bought, and your basic story. I know it's asking allot, but if you have time to write a couple paragraphs I'm sure allot of us new guys would be inspired I love to hear your story!

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
That's cool, I would love to hear how and why you got into biking PJ352. What bike you bought, and your basic story. I know it's asking allot, but if you have time to write a couple paragraphs I'm sure allot of us new guys would be inspired I love to hear your story!
Appreciate the interest, but honestly, I've read far more inspiring stories here than mine.

Basically, at around the age of 27 and smoking for ~10 years I wasn't feeling great. Managed to quite smoking, but then gained about 25 lbs. and found that I wasn't feeling great (obviously, for a different reason).

Decided that it was in my best interest to lose some weight and improve my cardio fitness. Since I was on my bike constantly as a kid, it seemed the logical choice. The rest (as they say) is history.

I'm ~40 lbs. lighter than I was back some 28 years ago and have been logging just shy of 6k miles annually for the last few years. Through the years, I've found that mental challenges cycling poses have been as beneficial to me as the physical. Thus, my comment that I'd finance a bike if need be.

BTW, I 'started' my adult fitness riding on my mid 60's Schwinn Continental, purchased new.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Good job on getting the bike you want! Or at least one that'll keep you happy. That's a great bike!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think you are absolutely correct in going with the bike that fits you well and the Podium 3 with Shimano 105 is AWSOME! This is all most amiture riders will ever need! As far as buying from the Big Box guys, I say go for it if this is the bike you want.

Good luck, you are buying a fantastic bike with a really solid, good looking frame! Add the 105 components to the mix and you are getting A GREAT DEAL! Congratulations, and let me know if you need or want anymore feedback!
How are you enjoying your R570? I saw it at performance the other day and it was very nice! I actually ended up buying a 2011 Cannondale Synapse 6 that I picked up from REI for 580 after using accumulated dividends. It was being clearanced and they gave me a proper fitting and determined what my size was, which made me more comfortable considering I was going to buy the Podium online without a fitting.

The bike will be ready for pick up next week and I am excited! I haven't found many reviews on that model but hopefully it works out :) Plus, REI's guarantee is a big plus..

I look forward to hearing how your new bike is treating you!

81 - 91 of 91 Posts