Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I would like to say Thank You all for having me. I am a newbie to road interests and have spent most of my years riding mountain bikes, except for a few years where I used my 10 speed drop bar box store bike for transportation.

I went to the Local bike shops yesterday to get fitted for a road bike/cross bike. I am looking for something that will roll freely, cover some miles (10-20 per session) and maybe use for a commuter when I move back to a bike friendly location.

I am 6ft tall, 33 inch inseam, 239lbs muscular build. Once I get to riding alot I will be around 225lbs which is where I hover at when racing dirt bikes.

Ok, to the bikes. The 3 bikes I have found I really like were as follows.

Giant Defy 5 in Large, I trust the Giant name and the bike comes highly reviewed. The lack of disc brakes does bother me a bit as I like the consistent and powerful feel of discs that arent affected by an untrue rim (in the event I damage a rim) The local bike shop has a 2016 for $599 which seems like a great deal.

Another bike I like is the Diamondback Century. I have owned 2 Diamondbacks in the past and they have served me well. This is my favorite bike as far as looks go, and I like that I get cable disc brakes for almost the same price as the Giant Defy 5. Nobody has this bike locally so i will have to assemble it (no big deal) and dial it in myself. The price is $640 shipped, and according to Diamondback website I need a size XL which is a 58cm vs the Giant Large (57.5cm)

The last bike I was looking at is the Specialized Crosstrail Sport size X Large with hydraulic disc brakes ( the Tektro Aurigas that are on my current Giant talon 3 mt bike) This bike has a relax riding position, and looks nice. My concern is that this bike isnt too much of a departure from my current Giant talon 3. Kinda wondering if I should just put skinny, mild cross tires on my mountain bike and call it done. This bike is priced at $710 at local bike shop, which I think is a tad high based on MSRP.

I think I am mainly looking for opinions on the Diamondback Century and the Giant Defy 5, but if you all have input on the Crosstrail feel free to post up.

Thank You all again for having me!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought my first road bike a few months ago, coming from mountain bikes. I found a 6 year old Jamis with Sora components for $350. I have really enjoyed it and I feel like if I didn't like it I could have sold the bike to someone else and gotten all of my money back. So that's a big advantage for a used bike. If you're flexible enough to consider a hybrid bike like the Spec then maybe you could make do with any 56cm used road bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
There is good advice with getting a nicer level used bike. If you do want new, the Defy is a great bike, for the most part. I recommended a friend buy the next step up, and overall, it was great. The most important thing you will want to do is ask the shop to manually tension the wheels, as they're machine built and won't stay true. Other than that, it's a good value.
I don't have experience with the new Diamondback, but their specs seem ok. As long as it fits you. However, I'd probably lean toward the one at your LBS first.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is good advice with getting a nicer level used bike. If you do want new, the Defy is a great bike, for the most part. I recommended a friend buy the next step up, and overall, it was great. The most important thing you will want to do is ask the shop to manually tension the wheels, as they're machine built and won't stay true. Other than that, it's a good value.
I don't have experience with the new Diamondback, but their specs seem ok. As long as it fits you. However, I'd probably lean toward the one at your LBS first.
thank you for the feedback. I do prefer to go with a new machine just something to be said about that new bike smell.....:D The local bike shop has treated me well, taken their time with me so I do like to buy from them. I bought 2 bikes from them just recently...Both Giants

The lack of support with the Diamondback does concern me as the local shop offers free tune ups for a year after purchase. Although I normally do my own work its nice to have a backup for when I am too busy.

I really want disc brakes though, I may step up to a Giant that has the defy ergos but disc brakes.

Am I putting too much value on the disc brakes? I know how much I love them on massive downhills on my mt bikes....especially in wet weather and snow.

·
Registered
221 Posts
You are looking at bike sizes that are too large for you. I am not equipped to size you over the internet nor have time to look at all the geometries of the bikes you listed, but I am confident in that assessment.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are looking at bike sizes that are too large for you. I am not equipped to size you over the internet nor have time to look at all the geometries of the bikes you listed, but I am confident in that assessment.
I did go to the local bike shop and tried on the Giant defy 5 in Large, I must say at 6ft tall, 33 in inseam I definitely would be far too cramped on a Medium in this bike.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,449 Posts
I did go to the local bike shop and tried on the Giant defy 5 in Large, I must say at 6ft tall, 33 in inseam I definitely would be far too cramped on a Medium in this bike.

I concur. I am 5' 10" with a 32 inseam and I usually take a 56cm or Medium. A medium would be too small for you.

About the bikes, which one fits you better? That is the one you should buy. This is of utmost importance.

About disc brakes. Do you normally ride in rain or wet roads? If not, a good set of rim brakes will work fine with an emphasis on a good set like the latest generation Shimano. Their latest generation rim brakes have excellent modulation and stopping power.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I concur. I am 5' 10" with a 32 inseam and I usually take a 56cm or Medium. A medium would be too small for you.

About the bikes, which one fits you better? That is the one you should buy. This is of utmost importance.

About disc brakes. Do you normally ride in rain or wet roads? If not, a good set of rim brakes will work fine with an emphasis on a good set like the latest generation Shimano. Their latest generation rim brakes have excellent modulation and stopping power.

I am sure I will find myself riding in the rain, and although the Giant defy 5 comes with decent rim brakes I am sure they are not top of the line at this price point. I havent owned a bike with rim brakes for about 10 years. The snowy downhill with a snowdrift covered mud hole/ditch that resulted in a superman made me swear off rim brakes on any future mountain bikes.

I havent owned a road bike since I was 15, and that was many,many moons ago.....Like 20 + years worth of them. But I covered some miles on that bike, just going where I wanted to go....no rides for exercise, just destinations I wanted to be at and I went.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.