Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one was much flatter than the last one. It still had around 4k of climbing, but it was flat between the climbs. It was only 98 miles, but the last one was 103 so I still have a mile in the bank. This was the Cascade Bicycle Club Flying Wheels Century in Redmond, Washington. Cascade puts on the Seattle to Portland.

I apologize, I didn't get any great shots on the ride again. I did finish the 98 miles in 5:12 for an average of 18.8 mph so I really didn't mess around. I rode with a guy from work and we were able to bridge up to a fast group to make some time in the draft. Anyway, here are the shots.

At the rest stops. The rider in pink is Kreger who occassionally posts. I'm sure he was swatting bugs and not picking his nose.

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
At the velodrome

The ride started and ended at Marymoor Velodrome. One of the post ride events was a cruiser bike relay race. Interesting costumes and themes.

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Declaring my love for Emma

I love my bike, it feels as good at 5 mph on a climb as it does on a 50 mph descent. I am a turbo diesel when I ride and my Big Leg Emma puts everything that I put into the pedals to the back wheel.

A bike like a Big Leg Emma just wouldn't look right on the roof of a subaru.

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DrRoebuck said:
Damn. That's a helluva average for 98 miles.

I did ~80 today (solo) and it took me longer than that. :mad2: :mad: :(
I used to be an excellent time trialist. Flat roads with a few rollers are my strength. I currently don't live in an area like that. Next month is the Seattle to Portland which has a couple of climbs near the beginning but flattens out after that. I really want to do a 10 hour ride for the 204 miles. I like my suffering to play to my strength which isn't climbing.

No fancy gear either, I am riding my steel frame with a carbon fork and standard handbuilt wheels 32 front, 36 rear.

· Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Bill, that's just flying! It sure was a nice weekend here. I just got back from a coffee run, and it's so nice; it's the day we waited all winter for. I'm going to do STP too, but I'm going to do 2 days on a fixed gear with a big honkin' bag on the back. I'm really looking forward to that. Hope the weather is like it was today.

· Non non normal
10,183 Posts
Bill,

That is rolling with that much climbing. You really should take the extra five minutes and get some ride shots on the road.

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bigrider said:
Bill,

That is rolling with that much climbing. You really should take the extra five minutes and get some ride shots on the road.
I was practicing my pack riding for STP. I wanted to stay with the fast group from miles55-86. I wanted to stop for some shots at the top of the last climb, but there were two squirrelly riders that I had put behind me on the climb and I didn't want to pass them again. The last dozen miles were on rolling terrain with many bad riders forcing me out into traffic to pass them. I didn't want to stop and pass them again either.

Early in the ride, a group about 100 yards ahead of me was running a stop sign when a dumptruck clipped one of the guys tweaking his back wheel but not taking him out. I didn't see any name on the side of the truck or look at the license plate. The guy with the bent wheel said he would wait for the police. I don't think the guy driving the truck knew he hit him. I wonder what he told the police; "Officer, I was running a stop sign when this truck hit me".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.