Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It wasn't simply the heat but the humidity. Breathing up hills was simply harder. After four hours and 65 miles I called it quits. Hard to say this anything other than junk miles. Anyone actually ride on Saturday and find it positive? Sunday ride was far more pleasant.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
It wasn't simply the heat but the humidity. Breathing up hills was simply harder. After four hours and 65 miles I called it quits. Hard to say this anything other than junk miles. Anyone actually ride on Saturday and find it positive? Sunday ride was far more pleasant.
I stayed in. I rode Friday (my bi-weekly day off) and felt really poorly afterwards. I decided to sit out Saturday when I saw those dewpoints. Rode today and while it was unpleasant I did not suffer too badly. I often wonder if we gain any fitness by going out and forcing a ride in this kind of weather?

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,284 Posts
I drank like a sponge on the ride and continued guzzling H20 into the nighttime, but I still enjoyed my ride a heck of a lot. Nice nap afterwards, too.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
No. It was just too much. Real feel temps of 110F+ and so humid that you are drenched by the time you put your shoes on. My body simply cannot evaporate and cool efficiently at those dew points.

Disgusting. West coasters, you guys don't know how good you have it.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
My ride home from work on Friday had a heat index of 101, and I felt disgusting after that. On Saturday I skipped riding and walked around Saratoga for a few hours, but that wasn't any better.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
No. I walked errands and my sneaker came apart as the adhesive melted. It partially reaffixed itself when I went indoors.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I sweat so much I couldn't get my phone to work. Apparently the screen doesn't react well to fingers when its wet from sweat.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,284 Posts

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,284 Posts
It was actually reasonably humid that day, by L.A. standards. In distinct contrast to today, which is dry as the proverbial bone. Then again, about an hour ago the thermometer outside my back door read 105.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
It was L.A., the San Fernando Valley. Low one hundreds.
you guys out there just don't get it :)

I would take 120 instead of 95 with 70 dewpoint.

·
merckxman
2,116 Posts
I rode, started very early, done by 1030. Clothing was sopping wet. The heat index reached 113F in afternoon. Everyone should have a shady route for days like that, you can't help the humidity but at least you won't roast in the sun.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,284 Posts
you guys out there just don't get it :)

I would take 120 instead of 95 with 70 dewpoint.
I'm not competing with you. I'm just reporting the facts.

·
Wandering
195 Posts
Anyone actually ride on Saturday and find it positive?
No - it was insane. I started ~8am & was sweating in the parking lot. Decided to change the route & cut the ride short after ~20 miles - finished with 41. I saw some friend's comments on Strava like "Dantes 40", "Worst ever", "Brutal heat! The hottest ride I've ever done!", etc, etc, etc

A buddy has been recently starting his rides between 5 & 6am & finishing before 8am. Sounds like he might have the right idea. In fact, he started today's ride @ 4:58.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts