Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was in the most recent Outside mag. Joe is/was a second tier racer that hooked up with a team that were dopers and raced alot in countries that are not real aggressive in controlling dopers. Interesting read, testified at the Floyd Landis hearings, easy to see how someone can get caught up in chasing a dream and the lengths they would go to to try and make it true.

· Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
The one with Anderson Cooper on it? I just got it and haven't had a chance to check it out....

· Gruntled
3,775 Posts
Kram said:
The one with Anderson Cooper on it? I just got it and haven't had a chance to check it out....
No, the one with the surfer chick on the the cover. The issue after A. Cooper.

I read it. To me, it was more about a guy with emotional problems than about pro racing and doping.

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Jim Nazium said:
No, the one with the surfer chick on the the cover. The issue after A. Cooper.

I read it. To me, it was more about a guy with emotional problems than about pro racing and doping.

I think AC issue was my last one.

I only had this crap magazine cuz some other mag went belly up.

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To me though the "I got video.....

weltyed said:
i thought the article was good, but left this weird, "i have some information and videos of pros doping, but im holding on to it for a massive pay day.
Was really amaturish sp? even a word? on his part. These were not top dog racers he has video of, sort of like "I got video of the fraternity football house guys doing 'roids" and hoping it would pay off in some blackmail scheme some day. Now, the guy is radioactive, don't even think the bad boy doper squad that was featured in last issue of Outside would take him, not enough talent anyways.

My point was he got a taste of what could be when he doped and raced and thought "wow, I really could make it to the majors" I guess this is the same type of deal that is happening with baseball and college athletics.

· Registered
509 Posts
Sounded like his video was from his minor league italian cycling team. Probably has people no one cares about. I read the Walsh book from Lance to Landis in the same time frame as this article and I would say that he is probably telling mostly the truth about the doping.

· Registered
2,342 Posts
read it a week or so ago. the piece was written with a heavy emphasis on the relative wreck that is papp's life as opposed to what a relative wreck pro cycling is. He's a bit of a headcase but there's nothing in what he says that's especially unbelievable. they (outside) should leave the doping journalism to joe lindsey.

· Registered
1,326 Posts
I am wondering about claims that he self-injected a medley of substances including
heroin?. I know it's naive of me, but I never suspected a heirarchy of lower-level pros
who participate in non-screened events. If, as has been mentioned, Mr. Papp is
unbalanced or 'prone to embellishment' all or some of the assertions may be untrue.
But if even some of those claims are indeed true, I found the magnitude and intensity
of the drug components used shocking and horrifying. Coming from the bodybuilding world
this sort of thing should not surprise me. It's just that I imputed a more health conscious
mind-set upon pro cyclists. Yeah, I know, you've got some land in Florida to sell me...

· Registered
2,342 Posts
phoehn9111 said:
I am wondering about claims that he self-injected a medley of substances including
heroin?. I know it's naive of me, but I never suspected a heirarchy of lower-level pros
who participate in non-screened events. If, as has been mentioned, Mr. Papp is
unbalanced or 'prone to embellishment' all or some of the assertions may be untrue.
But if even some of those claims are indeed true, I found the magnitude and intensity
of the drug components used shocking and horrifying. Coming from the bodybuilding world
this sort of thing should not surprise me. It's just that I imputed a more health conscious
mind-set upon pro cyclists. Yeah, I know, you've got some land in Florida to sell me...
pot belge (the mix of amphetamines/caffeine/coke/heroin) has been around awhile so it's not beyond belief papp would have used it. laurent roux was a <a href="http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/06/20/sports/bike.php">fan</a> of it.

· Registered
1,326 Posts
I am familiar with anderosterone (i.e., steroids) and I believe that there is evidence
from other pro sports that there are almost certainly potentially disasterous effects
in later life. The kind of personality that is able to ignore the life they are to live for
the sake of an immediate obsession unnerves and demoralizes me and makes me
doubt the rationalism of pro-cycling as a whole. By the way, I couldn't help being
somewhat offended by his repulsion over the prospect of having to take on a boring
job in the private sector. Welcome to the ratrace, fella.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.