Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The commentators on both CyclingTV and Eurosport talked of how Basso did not look to be quite on his game today. Anybody think he is tiring? Anyone think he should have let some of the attacks go toward the end of the stage and just sat with the major contenders? He's got a good gap between himself and Gutierrez

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
il sogno said:
The commentators on both CyclingTV and Eurosport talked of how Basso did not look to be quite on his game today. Anybody think he is tiring? Anyone think he should have let some of the attacks go toward the end of the stage and just sat with the major contenders? He's got a good gap between himself and Gutierrez
Yeah I thought he looked somewhat labored for the first time but that could have been the weather. He'd have to get ill (or crash) to lose the Giro now. Even if his form is going south he's got a huge gap. The big surprise today was Guiterrez riding so strongly or maybe it was Simoni not being so good?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The podium is effectively decided.

1. Basso
2. Gutierrez
3. Gibo

I don't see any more changes on the GC unless Gibo blows up between tomorrow and Saturday. Basso and Gutierrez each have five-minute cushions to buffer their respective 1/2 positions.

·
Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dwayne Barry said:
Yeah I thought he looked somewhat labored for the first time but that could have been the weather. He'd have to get ill (or crash) to lose the Giro now. Even if his form is going south he's got a huge gap. The big surprise today was Guiterrez riding so strongly or maybe it was Simoni not being so good?
Yeah, Basso was rocking back and forth on the climb. Piepoli's got great form too.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I thought Basso looked great yesterday but definitely showed the effort the last couple km more than in previous climbs and was showing more today. But being tall and scrawny is the worst body shape for dealing with cold so that could have been the issue today as much as anything. Gutierrez looked good but being a heavier more compact rider should do better in the cold.

I think Gibo got screwed by the weather today. When the going gets tough Gutierrez is keeping up on the climbs in large part through muscle strength and single climb stages let him continue to get away with that. If they had done the full stage today I think Gibo would have taken a couple minutes out of JG. He still has a shot at the 2nd spot if the next 2 mountain stages go off as planned and the worst climbs don't get eliminated by weather again.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
terzo rene said:
He still has a shot at the 2nd spot if the next 2 mountain stages go off as planned and the worst climbs don't get eliminated by weather again.
I agree, Simoni has always been an attacking rider and with Piepoli in such great form an early attack before the final climb is not out of the question. If they can get away from Guiterrez I'm not sure how much support Phonak can muster or how concerned CSC/Basso would be with letting him get a few minutes up the road. Most likely help would come from Disco, but Savoldelli hasn't been anywhere near the the front on a climb yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.