Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If he had chased Sastre as soon as Sastre attacked, could he have possibly limited his losses and won the Tour?
Should he have not been so concerned about the Schlecks?
Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I dont think that cadel lost the tour, CSC won the tour give them the credit that they deserve, they hammered all the gc riders.

·
Bea Arthur's Army of Evil
236 Posts
Given Schleck's performance today, it would appear to be a miscalculation. Even if he were to chase down Sastre, and Schleck countered, Cadel always had a better chance against Schleck than Sastre. That being said, Evans blew it in the TT, that's where he really lost the Tour. Never should have been that slow.

·
Trænger til hjælp
138 Posts
cheddarlove said:
If he had chased Sastre as soon as Sastre attacked, could he have possibly limited his losses and won the Tour?
My oppinion is that he lost the tour today. He was not as fast as he usually would be compared to Sastre.

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Perhaps he should have chased Sastre down a little earlier.

I think he blew the TT coz he was really, really fighting his ass off not to get dropped badly against the CSC guys.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Anders Moll said:
My oppinion is that he lost the tour today. He was not as fast as he usually would be compared to Sastre.

I agree. Given Sastre's ride today, Evans needed a 1:04:50, which would've placed him 3rd on the day, 1 second ahead of Kim Kirchen. I would certainly consider this within his normal capabilities. I don't think, however, that we should downplay the beating that CSC has put on him over the last 10 days. That certainly factors in to his slower than expected time.

Also, if he marks Sastre on the Alpe, he probably blows up and gives up even more time. He was at his limit.

Chapeau to CSC for putting him there.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Sastre won the Tour with his attack. Evans did everything he could to try and limit his losses aginst a better climber and a stronger team. I think if anything Evans team lost the race by being pretty much no help at all to him. Evans def did not ride the TT he was able to today prehapse bacsue he was too stressed out and also so tired from basicly riding with eno support the entire race. Regarless Sastre rode like a champ attacked an won.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I think Cadel could've gave it a little more gas on the lower climb but really none of that would have mattered would it -- perhaps 10 second would have been shaved off and he would've been just more fatigued. If Popo had been around to earn his paycheck then perhaps things would be very different as Cadel's energy would've been spared.

·
Ron&Fez XM202/Sirius197
485 Posts
Cadel gave everything he had on Alpe d'uez. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but Cadel stopped about 10 ft af he passed the finish line, he was spent. Sastra won the tour, Cadel didn't lose it.

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
peter1 said:
I have my suspicions...he went from white jersey to Disco super-domestique/future winner, to Astana helper to, frankly, Roberto Heras-ville...
Astana? He was never on Astana.

Ok maybe he did have a bad preparation. Who knows? Maybe it's coz of the other reason.

I'm just gonna say it's a bad season perhaps. He did start off the year pretty good.

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
cheddarlove said:

Yup!!!

The unsung hero is Cancellara.

Fabian took what looked like a 30 minute pull that shattered the field and beat down Cadel and the contenders. Cadel lost the time in the Alps and still wasn't all there today.

Of course Sastre delivered the goods.

fc

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
You have to say that Team CSC and Carlos Sastre won this race with their gameplan and execution. Sastre went away at the exact moment they had planned, and peformed brilliantly. His TT peformance was as good as could have been hoped for.

Evans and Silence-Lotto rode their race, too, betting everything on the final time trial. Evans was spent by that time, largely due to the relentless efforts of CSC.

Chapeau to Bernhard Kohl. A wonderful ride by him.

And Christian Van de Velde also rode well. But for a bad moment and bit of luck he'd be on the podium.

To those who revile Evans: he has ridden a wonderful race. Riding essentially alone against the might of CSC, he put himself in position to win the TdF at his specialty, the ITT. That he came up short is neither a failure of strategy nor a failure of execution. He was simply beaten by the stronger competitor. He should be praised for a brilliant effort.

My 2c.

JSR

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
peter1 said:
Sorry, my bad. I was thinking of the Horner trade and got the players backward...
Horner is still doing well and remember him giving a ride to another rider up the slope in a recent race he did with Levi?

Popo was going well early on in the season actually. Let's see how it goes post Tour and next year.

·
Lurkaholic
347 Posts
JSR said:
You have to say that Team CSC and Carlos Sastre won this race with their gameplan and execution. Sastre went away at the exact moment they had planned, and peformed brilliantly. His TT peformance was as good as could have been hoped for.

Evans and Silence-Lotto rode their race, too, betting everything on the final time trial. Evans was spent by that time, largely due to the relentless efforts of CSC.

And Christian Van de Velde also rode well. But for a bad moment and bit of luck he'd be on the podium.

To those who revile Evans: he has ridden a wonderful race. Riding essentially alone against the might of CSC, he put himself in position to win the TdF at his specialty, the ITT. That he came up short is neither a failure of strategy nor a failure of execution. He was simply beaten by the stronger competitor. He should be praised for a brilliant effort.

My 2c.

JSR
A perfect summary. :D

·
Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
JSR said:

My 2c.

JSR
Totally agree with you. Up until yesterday, most "experts" were saying that Sastre didn't have enough time on Evans to win.
The counter argument has always been that you need to be in a position with a chance to win and you never know what will happen.
Well both of them were in a position to win it all. It just so happens that Evans rode a sub-par TT for him and Sastre rode a slightly better than expected TT. That was the difference.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.