Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
wut?
14,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a cheap floor pump explode on me. I'm wondering if I caused this.

When you attach the pump to the valve, air does not enter the tire until the pressure in the pump is greater than that of the tire (or something).

Anyway, I usually let a little air out and then attach the pump, then pump down once hard enough to overcome the tire's pressure. I did this tonight and noticed the hose bulge. A few more pumps and it popped.

Finally, my question... Am I abusing the pump by forcing the handle down to overcome this pressure? Should I have to let a ton of air out of the tire so that less force is needed to overcome the pressure of the tire?

Thanks,

S2H

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
I just had a cheap floor pump explode on me. I'm wondering if I caused this.

When you attach the pump to the valve, air does not enter the tire until the pressure in the pump is greater than that of the tire (or something).

Anyway, I usually let a little air out and then attach the pump, then pump down once hard enough to overcome the tire's pressure. I did this tonight and noticed the hose bulge. A few more pumps and it popped.

Finally, my question... Am I abusing the pump by forcing the handle down to overcome this pressure? Should I have to let a ton of air out of the tire so that less force is needed to overcome the pressure of the tire?

Thanks,

S2H
sounds like just a chitty pump. the hose should take the pressure. I mean geez... it does have to be inflated just as high as the tire...

·
wut?
14,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cruzer2424 said:
sounds like just a chitty pump. the hose should take the pressure. I mean geez... it does have to be inflated just as high as the tire...
That's what I thought. The hose completely blew up.

Worst pump ever. What a waste of $20.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Hoses are expendable; buy a new one.

I dunno how you can overpressure a hose that way. You're going to pump the tire up to pressure anyway, and the hose doesn't know if it's pushing against the valve or forcing air into the tube. It shouldn't make any difference , unless the valive was stuck and you had to put in megapressure to overcome that. Give it a tap before you put the hose on it, not to "let out air" but just to free the valve.
Hoses are expendable, by the way. I buy a new one every year or so, and I've probably replaced three or four on my old Zefal floor pump. Ask at your bike shop. Even if you can't find the specific one you need, you can phony up an attachment with hose clamps.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
The key word here, is cheap pump. I use a 20 year old Silica Track pump, that I always "over pump". The gauge will often hit 180-190 before poping the presta valve open. In the 20 years that I've had the pump, I've replaced the main plunger gasket once ($3), and the pump head gasket six or seven times ($1).

·
wut?
14,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MR_GRUMPY said:
The key word here, is cheap pump. I use a 20 year old Silica Track pump, that I always "over pump". The gauge will often hit 180-190 before poping the presta valve open. In the 20 years that I've had the pump, I've replaced the main plunger gasket once ($3), and the pump head gasket six or seven times ($1).
Yup, my dad has a 20-year-old Silca. Works great, feels perfect.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
I think that it either cost $24.99 or $29.99 when I bought it. Because you often had to pump one handed (if the chuck gasket was worn), it was not a pump for sissies, or women.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
asgelle said:
I still don't see it. Is it because Grumpy won't lend that one pump to women or is he talking about all Silca's?
Because pumping one handed is clearly a job for a real man like grumpy.

And one handed is necessary because the one weakness of a silca is the press-on chuck. With wear, they blow off easily.

Keeping your rubber well lubed helps to prevent the excess wear.

The moral of the story: Grumpy doesn't like girls, and would rather pump one handed than lube his rubber.

:D

·
Registered
797 Posts
Anywho, if it was my pump, I would likey cut the hose just beyond where it poped, and clap it back together using those small hose claps that tighten with a screw.. THey''re what, 30 cents a pice or somthing?
OR.....
If I had some old air compresor line laying arround, I would replace your old hose with that!

·
wut?
14,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Visitor302 said:
Anywho, if it was my pump, I would likey cut the hose just beyond where it poped, and clap it back together using those small hose claps that tighten with a screw.. THey''re what, 30 cents a pice or somthing?
OR.....
If I had some old air compresor line laying arround, I would replace your old hose with that!
The hose popped right where it screws into the pump, so it's not so simple. The company is sending me a new hose assembly. :thumbsup:

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
The hose popped right where it screws into the pump, so it's not so simple. The company is sending me a new hose assembly. :thumbsup:
Stab them in the kidneys anyway, just in case.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
Already did.
Yes. I can feel the warmth. Blood. Delicious warm blood. Aaaaahhhhh.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.