Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's the STRANGEST roadkill you've ever come across? sure, we've all seen opossums, skunks, snakes, and birds, but have you ever seen any roadkill that just made you think "HUH???"?

yesterday, about 20miles into a 95-miler, i saw a very large lobster or crab (can't say which), crushed flat in the bike lane. i thought that this was very peculiar. the only explanation that i've been able to come up with is that it escaped from a crate as the crate was being delivered to a nearby Joe's Crab Shack seafood restaurant, because i don't think we have crustaceans quite that large around these parts. still, rather odd.

....can anybody top that???

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
soulsurfer104 said:
what's the STRANGEST roadkill you've ever come across? sure, we've all seen opossums, skunks, snakes, and birds, but have you ever seen any roadkill that just made you think "HUH???"?

yesterday, about 20miles into a 95-miler, i saw a very large lobster or crab (can't say which), crushed flat in the bike lane. i thought that this was very peculiar. the only explanation that i've been able to come up with is that it escaped from a crate as the crate was being delivered to a nearby Joe's Crab Shack seafood restaurant, because i don't think we have crustaceans quite that large around these parts. still, rather odd.

....can anybody top that???
I saw a snapping turtle (still very much alive), about 15-18 inches long. Best left alone.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I once saw a tortoise or large turtle come skidding out of the back of a pickup on 880 in Hayward, Ca. It hit the ground, shell side down, and slid some ways. As it was righting itself (after it stopped sliding), a Honda Accord plowed through it at about 50 mph. It was really quite disturbing. Not one of my better commutes.

·
Island Hopping cyclist
430 Posts
Not dead, but an alligator along side a bike path.

I did run across a dead monkey that escaped from a monkey farm.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Aquatic theme

Once on a ride in California's Central Valley (a couple of hundred miles from the sea) my wife and I saw a salmon fillet on the shoulder. No packaging, just a big chunk of fish. For the life of me I can't figure out how it could fall out of someone's groceries AND out of the car to wind up on the side of the road.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Hundreds of 3-foot squid on Santa Monica beach

OK, it wasn't technically ROAD kill. But they covered five or six miles of beach, from north of Santa Monica down past Venice. Big suckers, longer than my leg, all dead. LA Times did a story on 'em, but I never did find out the cause of death.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Last summer I saw a Northern Pike. It rotted all the way to the skeleton. The thing went undesturbed for at least 6 weeks. Then it was gone. A couple days later a Large Mouth Bass show up in the exact same spot. Same thing, for weeks it layed there until time erased it. This was on a very low traveled piece of road that goes between Wisconsin & Illinois about a 1/2 block from Lake Michigan. I'm talking trophy size fish.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Roadkill? Try lunch!

My most memorable roadkill moment was coming around a sweeping turn at the bottom of a long hill and nearly running into the turkey vulture dining in the middle of the road. I startled him, too -- he reared up and spread his wings wide, I nearly sh!t my bike shorts trying to avoid him. He hopped about eight feet in the air, hovered there until he realized I was harmless, then went back to lunch. I, however, was a little shaken...

Team RoadKill used to show up at RAGBRAI every year and pepper the little lumps of flesh with team stickers. Can't imagine why they stopped...

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Free Kitten

Obviously a very bored volunteer painting a tour route with a slightly demented sense of humor.

JRA and encounted painted on the road Free Kitten Ahead

Ride about 25 meters and there in the road was a squished kitten with yellow crime scene style chalk outline painted around the corpse.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Strangest thing I've seen on a ride...

... was this guy out running with his donkey, getting ready for a "Run Your @ss Off" event -- REALLY! I HAD to stop, ask, and take a pic, of course. It was a very odd sight.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ground Hog

I was actually chased by a ground hog last spring. They can run faster than expected! I can only imagine the wheel damage involved If I had run into it!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well it wasn't dead, but not alive either...

One day last fall while riding, I saw a realistic looking plastic dildo on the roadside. I took a picture, and emailed it to friends. I'd post the pic, but I don't want to get in trouble!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Seen some pretty awful roadkill, for sure. But what I've seen in the tropical summer of Central Alabama, ALIVE, is what's most frightening:

A coiled, copperhead snake, head up and hissing, read to do some damage to someone. I could see it from a distance, it's coils were stacked a foot high. I bet this snake was 8 foot long stretched out. I swung WAAAYYY out to avoid it. It was about 6:15 in the morning in August, on my usual training route. I hope I never see anything like that again.

I also saw two black dudes pounding on each other a couple weeks ago. It was a pretty sissy looking fight, so it wasn't post-worthy at the time. But it was a serious throw-down...

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,614 Posts
LugNut said:
... was this guy out running with his donkey, getting ready for a "Run Your @ss Off" event -- REALLY! I HAD to stop, ask, and take a pic, of course. It was a very odd sight.
That's no ordinary guy. That's Uncle Jesse.

·
Registered
146 Posts
not sure what it was

I wasn't on the bike but, about 7 years ago i was going to minneapolis to catch a flight and all of a sudden there was a rib cage in the middle of the road i had no choice but to hit it at 70 mph. the jeep took a licking and didn't miss a beat, i really hope it was a deer carcass i hit

·
Registered
147 Posts
A little OT, but....

oscar2 said:
I was actually chased by a ground hog last spring. They can run faster than expected! I can only imagine the wheel damage involved If I had run into it!
I and several friends were chased by a Ruffed Grouse while mtb-ing once. We were on ACOE land and went to the office to tell them of a "rabid chicken" out in the woods. As soon as he stopped laughing, he told us it was a (very hormonal and very territorial) Ruffed Grouse.
Crazy.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts