Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
the embalmer said:
I wasn't on the bike but, about 7 years ago i was going to minneapolis to catch a flight and all of a sudden there was a rib cage in the middle of the road i had no choice but to hit it at 70 mph. the jeep took a licking and didn't miss a beat, i really hope it was a deer carcass i hit
I had that happen to me once too. I was driving across Indiana or Ohio on my way back from Notre Dame to Boston. It was about 5 am, I was hung over and having trouble keeping my eyes open. Then all of a sudden there were chunks of flesh, blood and a giant rib cage in the road. Like you, I plowed right through it in my rented RV. I would have thought I dreamt it had my roommate not been sitting next to me and seen it too.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I thought I saw a human head...

soulsurfer104 said:
what's the STRANGEST roadkill you've ever come across? sure, we've all seen opossums, skunks, snakes, and birds, but have you ever seen any roadkill that just made you think "HUH???"?

yesterday, about 20miles into a 95-miler, i saw a very large lobster or crab (can't say which), crushed flat in the bike lane. i thought that this was very peculiar. the only explanation that i've been able to come up with is that it escaped from a crate as the crate was being delivered to a nearby Joe's Crab Shack seafood restaurant, because i don't think we have crustaceans quite that large around these parts. still, rather odd.

....can anybody top that???
but it was only a cauliflower

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
I was second on the scene

Up my favorite climb one day I saw another cyclist standing around looking pretty sick next to a human skull. There was no-body attached...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Deer

I was coming up a hill on Hwy 96 outside Nashville and in a wooded ditch to my right something big jumped and rolled all over the place just as I was coming up next to it. It was a deer that had been hit by a car and had it's legs broke....very disturbing. I hated to not be able to put it out of it's misery, but what are you gonna do. Scared the bejesus out of me.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Not really weird, but creepy.

There's some canyons out east of town. Story goes that a car stopped in the bottom to use their cellphone and stretch their legs. Group of cyclist come down the hill and the guy on the phone steps into the ditch to let them pass safely. As he's standing there, he looks to the right and finds a decomposed body of a 14 year old kid.

True story.

soulsurfer104 said:
what's the STRANGEST roadkill you've ever come across? sure, we've all seen opossums, skunks, snakes, and birds, but have you ever seen any roadkill that just made you think "HUH???"?

yesterday, about 20miles into a 95-miler, i saw a very large lobster or crab (can't say which), crushed flat in the bike lane. i thought that this was very peculiar. the only explanation that i've been able to come up with is that it escaped from a crate as the crate was being delivered to a nearby Joe's Crab Shack seafood restaurant, because i don't think we have crustaceans quite that large around these parts. still, rather odd.

....can anybody top that???

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Had this discussion years ago

WHile on a ride on vacation in Colorado had this same discussion. Two folks from Miami told the story of a group ride where a guy walked into the shrub in the everglades to take a pee. The guys found a body riddled with bullets. They claimed to have been on the group ride. True? Not true?? Don't know.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sure looks like a black garbage bag.

I was riding along a country road last spring. There was a big, black plastic garbage bag in the ditch beside the road. I got right next to it, maybe 6' away and it took off! Turns out it was a turkey vulture, had a 6' or 8' wingspan. Scared the crap out of me. Used the story as my opening joke at a speech I gave the next day, so not all was lost..

·
Incredibly slow
545 Posts
LugNut said:
... was this guy out running with his donkey, getting ready for a "Run Your @ss Off" event -- REALLY! I HAD to stop, ask, and take a pic, of course. It was a very odd sight.
Could have been one of my old math professors from CSM, Dr. Boes. He won a number of "Get Your Ass Up the Pass" races. IIRC, those ran from somewhere in South Park up to Leadville. He went from teaching jackasses differential equations on Friday to leading a jackass on Saturday.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
turkey vultures on various animals all the time

but the worst was this past thursday (near 60 degrees) riding through rock creek park north of DC and there was a freshly dead dog--looked like old yeller, still bleeding from his cracked skull. nearby in a lot was an old VW westphalia camper and i hope that was not the guy's dog.

no matter how often i see blood, it is still disturbing to watch it trickle across asphalt

anyway i am impressed you all ride with cameras--i may have to look into one of those little digital elphs or something.

jim

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
While MTBing I came to a creek a little too full to cross so I turned around and about **** myself as I rolled over a snake! I am not scared of the things, but when you are not expecting a 6ft snake it is a big suprise!

On another note, my dad's new wife' son was helping his friend clean up some land around Battle Creek MI. The kids Grandpa had a huge chunk of land in the boonies and a dead end road where people dumped stuff. Poor kids walked over some boulders and came across a 300lb+ guy who had been dumped there after being murdered! You don't think how wierd it is until someone you knows see's it, really messed him up for a couple weeks. Luckily the body was less than a day old, but still....

K

21 - 37 of 37 Posts