Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· off the back
15,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
despite the wind.

somehow, despite not really doing a thing over the winter, i somehow retained most of my fitness level that i had last November when i put the bike away. did manage three short rides in January when the temps were mild, but that's it. not that i'm in great shape, but for my standards, it's pretty good.

so today i set out to make a round trip to a town south of me, figuring it would be a 50 mile ride by the end. and once i arrive, one way at 23 miles, i'm feeling pretty good and start thinking "go back and it's 46 miles, only 16 short of the metric". so i decide to go for it. and despite the gusty winds, which somehow pretty much always seemed to be headwinds, i did it, with a couple stops along the way to grab a sandwich, chat with a friend i ran into, etc.

62 miles, my longest ride ever, and it's not even May yet. i'm having a beer. :D

· off the back
15,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kinda dead at first, from fighting the wind, but recovering nicely so far. only really felt that tired legs lactic acid buildup thing in two brief moments going up short hills near the end. but right now the legs don't feel that bad at all.

i'll probably be dead at work tomorrow though.

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Congrats. That's a big accomplishment.

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Congrats. Just look to MB for inspiration and soon you'll be doing 144 milers.

· off the back
15,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
not really feeling a huge energy boost today, but all things considered i don't feel bad at all, not at all fatigued like i thought i'd be. the legs feel a bit tired, but pretty good overall, and most importantly, the back feels great.

day off the bike today, but right out there again tomorrow. no 60 miler, bit three good rides over the weekend.

· Registered
960 Posts
Way to be RUFUS.

My buddy finished his first metric century just about 2 weeks ago.
Since then he has been on CLOUD 9 about his accomplishment...
However, he's not gotten back on his bike since...

Wanting to get on your bike this weekend on top of doing your first metric...
GO GET EM DUDE, you're officially hooked. Congrats.

· Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
The first year I did a metric I decided to do another one a few days later just to
see if I could repeat it. Then that lead to 80 milers and finally a solo century.

I find if I'm 50 miles into a ride I'll just do a 62.5 miler (100km) because it's
only 12 miles away from 50 miles....it's almost easy.

Now work towards the century, those are the fun ones.

· off the back
15,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what can i say, the Mondonico just compels me to ride it. :D

but today's ride was pretty bad. the legs didn't really feel weak, i was using the same gears as a couple days ago. just felt heavy and lifeless, and i felt like i was struggling on the bike all ride. luckily had a nice tail wind to bring me home. and hopefully this little ride will loosen them up a bit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.