Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
badass
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
10 loops of 8.6km, very rolling, with 2km of three teeny tiny climbs before the finish line (like gaining 10-15 metres every time). Only age categories, I was in <= 39 y.o. category with amateurs and former semi-pros and semi-pro youngsters. The field was about 55 riders. I got dropped after 7 laps when the pack attacked on the finish "climb" (like 300 metres of 3-4%) and finish dead last (other ~25 riders chose to DNF instead). I didn't have any problems with attacks on flats but at the finish line I suffered and suffered every time anyone launched an attack. I'm 80kg/179cm by the way and naturally suck at climbing. For three laps riding alone I lost 7 minutes to the bunch and averaged 37.6km/h. The main group avg. speed was 39.7km/h.

And for weenies who can't spend more than 2 hours driving to a race: it took 7 hours (580km) driving there and 10 hours driving back

·
Registered
373 Posts
To me that sounds like a successful day out with a pretty nice average speed. Especially for your first race. Nothing to be ashamed of. You will find that the accelerations probably hurt you the most, especially up the hill where the stronger riders would try and break up the field. A few more of these races and your body/mind will get use to it and you will start keeping up easier and easier. Next thing you know you will be competing in the sprints or attacking the bunch. Don't lose morale. For your first real race that was an awesome result. You may be a natural yet.

·
badass
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bridgey,

for a guy who's been racing MTB for 11 years I know my limits :) I did a couple of longer road races before on a MTB with weaker field and it was pure survival for an hour and then I got dropped.

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Sounds like you did pretty good except for all that metric mumbo jumbo :)

I've only done three RRs so far. The second one I found myself off the back on the first climb and rode the last 30 miles by myself. The last race I did was a similar course but with a stronger field but I made sure I was near the front on the first climb and I did lots better.

I pretty much know that if there is any real climbing that I'll be spending a lot of time by myself so...

Good job

·
badass
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
badass
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Numbers are bigger in metric system. Isn't that a reason to switch? I can't even thing about doing 20-something average on a road bike or having average speed of 7 in an XC race! these numbers are purely degrading.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.